A quick dumb question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kjf91004

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
Eau Claire, WI
Will plecos school with other species, or do I need to get all of the same species for them to be happy?

Is it the same for all species of pleco or do they vary quite a bit in aggressiveness?

How do they react to different sizes? If I get another small one will my big guy pick on him?

Thank You!

Dixon

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
Sunderland UK
what plecos are you thinking of.
i kept bristlenose plecos in a group of around 20 or so and my zebras were 2 males and 2 females.
they all seemed to get along fine.

also this is by no means a dumb question its quite a good one actually i may learn something myself

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
otocinclus will at least be very social. those little fellas will jump right in with darn near any other schooling, active, or social fish. think they just like company.

Like dixon said.

i have had Ancistrus sp., Panaque sp., Peckolita sp, and Hypostomus sp all play nice together (along with the otocinclus sp.) Conversely some hypostomus are just nasty as they develop size and stop playing nice. probably something to do with territory/food.

I also have a Baryancistrus sp. that plays mice with all the above.

i have had Hypoptopoma sp. and think of them as anti social. may have been the specimens.

I have a Pseudacanthicus sp (Papu) that plays nice with several of the other species listed above--he is young yet.

as to aggression among plecos. yes it happens--even with a species like bristlenose. i have seen bristle nose beat the bejeebs out of one another. i have seen them be very friendly. depends upon the specimen as much as the species at times--just like any other fish.

Royal farlowellas (not really a pleco) get along fine with others--they know how to play nice together.

i guess i will say that the otos are the only species i think of as "schooling". Or, really--highly social.

at feeding time many of the species have no problem getting any other fish in the way of their dinner out of the way.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Plecos tend to be territorial, so it is an issue of space as to how many and what you can keep together. They also tend to practice rough sex.

bleach_freak

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
i kept a small pleco with my flowerhorn they get along ver y well

kjf91004

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
Eau Claire, WI
Which one do I have is rather complicated. I bought a "Chocolate Albino Pleco" from Petco. It was 2 yrs ago and he has grown from 2 to 5 inches in my 38 gallon.

From what I have researched online there are 2 types of chocolate albinos, one is a different species and only gets to 6-7" and the other is the albino version of the common pleco and gets just as huge. I could not find any difference in the pictures on line. Though at first it looked like he had red "albino" eyes, and now they are not so red.

I am upgrading to a 90 gallon this fall, and I was thinking of getting another one for my community. (I just want everyone to be happy)

I would assume that if he is a small breed he would like a friend, but if he is a common, he would not, correct?

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
an albino chocolate plec. one sits in my sons 125--t'was a gift from an lfs--dang thing is about 15". that is problem with common names. i have not gone to planetcatfish to make an attempt at a definitive id. but whatever the species is in his tank, it can get big.

Dixon

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
Sunderland UK
TwoTankAmin said:
Plecos tend to be territorial, so it is an issue of space as to how many and what you can keep together. They also tend to practice rough sex.

do you keep L046 TTA, if so i have some info for you on breeding if you like.

nice info sully i knew id end up learning something

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Yes I have zebras as well as zebra fry :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store