Swim bladder problems--please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Hey all,
I just noticed today that my young female betta, Nessarose, seems to have a bad case of swim bladder disorder. I've been suspecting it for quite some time but just today she's begun to float over on her side and is incapable of swimming to the bottom of her tank anymore. She stays on her side at the top, tending towards the corners.

I just haven't ever experienced this before, and I really need to know what to do. If there even is anything I can do. So please let me know ASAP.

Thanks.

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Ok we will need to know a few things first..

What size is the tank?
How long has the tank been setup for?
How much do you feed and what do you feed the betta?
Are there any other fish in the tank?
What are your tank prams (pH, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte)?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

Get back to us with this info and we can go from there.

Well, first of all, I have to apologize. I don't check my water parameters--I know I should, and I have no excuses. However, I do have another betta in a tank with the same water, and he is perfectly fine, so I assume that the water is okay.

The tank is a 1 gallon. It has been set up for about a month. I feed the betta two Hikari pellets every day--she's still quite young, and small. There are no other fish in the tank. I change the water once or twice a week (it varies), 100% changes.

Like I said, I'm using the same water and changing just as often for my male betta in a different tank. This little girlie has acted sickly ever since I got her.

Okay, an update.

Some hours later, now, the girlie seems to be able to swim -much- better, and is not floating on her side any more... but she is now VERY swollen! What could be the problem? I figure it's either:

a.) swim bladder (but since she's swimming better now, I don't know if this is it any more),
b.) constipation (and I fed her a pea just in case), or
c.) eggbound.

Does anybody have any ideas? Thoughts? Anything? She acts normal now except for being swollen... oh, and her scales are not pineconing so I ruled out dropsy.

DarkEntity

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Glasgow (ish) Scotland
Indeed, i hate to see people put fish in tanks that small :sad:

She is a very small betta--when she grows more, I will upgrade. And in any case, I would appreciate thoughts on making her better, rather than just non-constructive criticism.

Anyway, her swelling seems to be subsiding. Perhaps it was just constipation after all. She does seem to be doing better.

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Give her a tank to swim in and healthy conditions and she will do much better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store