Coral banded shrimp and Cleaner shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Has anyone out there had any experience with keeping a coral banded shrimp and a cleaner shrimp together in the same tank? Either good or bad? I looked around, and everywhere I read says that the cleaner is totally peaceful and that the coral banded shrimp may pick on other smaller shrimp, but is generally overall peaceful as well.

I have had the cleaner shrimp for close to a year now. I just recently took in a coral banded shrimp from a friends tank. They seem ok, but the banded shrimp seems to shoe away the cleaner when he comes up to check him out. Since the cleaner is the old timer, I guess he is just curious. The cleaner is slightly bigger than the coral banded, fyi.

Here are my specs, I think with a tank my size I am fine, but I was just curious if anyone had any experience mixing them.

---------------------------------------------
100 gal tank, 3.8 wpg pc lighting
35 gal wet/dry/sump
Protein Skimmer
UV Sterilizer
2-3 dsb
mated pair perc clowns
1 yellow tang
1 pac blue tang
1 coral beauty
1 diamond watchman goby
3 reef chromis
3 spotted cardinal fish
current cleanup crew: 15 turbos, 35 blue leg hermits, cleaner shrimp
Inverts: star polyp, yellow colony polyp, bubble coral, pulsing xenia
purple tip haitain anemone

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
CBS can be very nasty towards other crustaceans. Not a mix I would trust, particularly when the cleaner molts.

clos10

jrwarrior23
Feb 6, 2006
Rohnert Park, CA
Ive had a coral banded and cleaner shrimp together and they dont seem to mind each other. The coral banded is really aggressive towards some of my fish though or at least he pretends to be. I love them both, they are both so beautiful.

hooked82

AC Members
Aug 20, 2006
Well this is my first post but I think it might help you out. I just purchased a CBS today for my 75g and oddly enough, it likes to pick on and poke at me 2' Snowflake Moray Eel. I'm waiting for the eel to get mad and just eat him. Not sure if that helped answer your question, they can be somewhat aggressive but not sure about with a cleaner shrimp.

paperlong

AC Members
May 4, 2006
nc
my coral banded shrimp ate 2 of my cleaner shrimp that sucked because i only had three. :rant2: It happened at night when the moonlights were on.

rightnow

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
I would take it out. Better safe then sorry. When night time comes it is a whole new world.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store