Water Movement

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MichaelStern

AC Members
Sep 5, 2001
New Rochelle, NY
I have a 120 g FO tank. The water return from my wet/dry filter comes out at the top of the tank, in two directions. This is the only water movement that I have. Should I add some power heads lower down? Will this help with the green algae that I have growing on my glass & coral skelatons? Thanks for the help.

MichaelStern

AC Members
Sep 5, 2001
New Rochelle, NY
There is one return that is split in two by a t-shaped PVC connection. The water shoots out in two different directions. The return is located in the back of the tank, in the center. The water goes towards each side of the tank.

The pump is an Iwaki MD70RLT. The plate that gives gpm is scratched out. I cannot read it. It is 1/4 HP if that helps.

I was curious if water movement lower down(i.e. using power heads) would help with algae growth?

Thanks for the input.:confused:

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
That pump pushes 1530 g.p.h. - great for a 120g tank. You could add a powerhead or two to increase water movement in the bottom of the tank though. Are you having problems with algae growing on the substrate?

MichaelStern

AC Members
Sep 5, 2001
New Rochelle, NY
Yes,

I guess I would call it a problem. The little bit of crushed coral I have on the bottom is usually green. The rocks (not live) and coral skelatons I have tend to get green also. See attached photo (if it works)

Any other suggestions to control the algae growth?

fish.jpg

MichaelStern

AC Members
Sep 5, 2001
New Rochelle, NY
Tank has been set up over 1 year.

I do not use RO/DI water:( I use water from a dehumidifier.

I do not have a phosphate test kit. For a while, I was using a phosphate removing filter pad in my wet/dry, but it did not do anything.

thanks for the help

Michael

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
I'd start out with the phosphate test kit and see where your level stands. If you find elevated levels, you may want to consider RO or RO/DI water. It's probably cheaper in the long run to buy your own RO/DI unit but you may be able to buy RO water at your lfs or grocery store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store