"Glassy" Leaves?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I noticed on my java fern (but not the Windelov's fern) that some of the leaves are looking "glassy" on the tips and edges like there is no chlorophyll in those areas. I felt an affected leaf and it does not feel like it's rotting - it's just see through at those spots. The leaves are not at all yellow, they are bright green. All other plants look fine.

What could be causing this, and what can I do to correct the problem?

Some tank background: 10 gallons, 20 watts lighting, lights on for 11.5 hours daily, fine aquarium gravel, tank temp 77, pH 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, gH and kH each at 120ppm/7 dH, and running an internal filter with minimal surface agitation. The tank was planted on 7/25 (cycled before planting) and I buried 3 small root tabs at that time - no fertilzation since and I have done four 30-40% water changes since that date. Plants and fish in signature.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Thanks, that's good to know!

I did read that the mature leaves on java ferns are 3-lobed - none of my mature leaves have the glassy look, only parts of the immature leaves and newer growth. I'll assume it's just those leaves growing for now since the rest of the plant is fine!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store