New bumblebee gobee ~ Hachi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but thats a brackish fish you have there. If the pet store kept it in FW, you should slowly aclamate it(in its own tank) to brackish. make sure you use a hydrometer and MARINE salt (not FW aquarium salt). For more information, try asking a mod to move this to the brackish forum.

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I hate my posts moving, this is not a discusion about what type of fish it is... it was just a lookie at my new buddie post. The mods are getting anoying... and your not the "bearer of bad news" He is very comfortable in his 1tbs per gal of aquarium salt. Which is made from evaporated ocean water, does not evaporate with the water nor get filtered out. I have a friend that has kept one in his FW tank with no more salt than 1tbs per 5 gal for over 2 years now.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
paku said:
I hate my posts moving, this is not a discusion about what type of fish it is... it was just a lookie at my new buddie post.[/IMG]
Oh Im sorry, In that case, nice looking fish you have there. Its a shame you are not willing to provide it with proper care :( That is your choice however. If you do decide to provide it with a more suitable environment, Im sure the folks here would be happy to help :)

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
sumthin fishy said:
Its a shame you are not willing to provide it with proper care :( That is your choice however. If you do decide to provide it with a more suitable environment, Im sure the folks here would be happy to help :)
I am not sure what you mean. He is in a suitable enviroment,(2 tbs of salt per gallon, a water density of 1.005, plenty of hiding spots, live food) with "ideal" tank mates all of which do great in this type of water...

per http://www.peteducation.com

The ideal setup is an aquarium with brackish water and plenty of plants and rocks providing the Goby with ample hiding places. Although it does well in a community setting, it will thrive the best in the company of only its own species.

Even though they live in brackish water, the addition of freshwater will induce spawning. The female will lay the eggs in the substrate beneath a root or rock where the male will fertilize them. After fertilization, the male will guard the eggs for approximately 4 days until the fry become waterborne.

The Bumblebee Goby requires a diet rich in small, live foods such as tubifex worms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia.

Ideal tank mates include:

* Guppies
* Mollies
* Platies
* Swordtails <--- in tank
* Tetras <--- in tank
* Danios
* Barbs
* Rasboras
* Gouramis
* Rainbowfish
* Cory cats
* Plecos <--- in tank
So maybe you would like to email Drs. Foster and Smith and advise them of thier error. Or please advise me on what I can do to make it more suitable.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
A common misconception is that sodium chloride can produce a brackish environment. It cannot. You need marine salt, the same kind used in salt water aquariums. The marine mix contains a lot more that simple NaCl, minerals needed by your fish to remain healthy. While it is possible to keep fish outside of thier natural enviroment, they will not be 100% healthy and will die prematurly. They will exhibit far more natural behavior when kept naturally as well.

For a good read on the use of FW aquarium salt with your freshwater species http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/water/salt.html

In short, long term exposure to NaCl can cause osmoregularity issues.

I have sent numerous e-mails to F&S on a number of thier inaccuracies, however they dont seem to care.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
this link provides the list of contents in marine salt
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_salts.php

Its not really your fault all they myths and common practices are inaccurate. We are here on this board to provide the best possible care for our fish, so i hope you can take my advice to heart, as it is not meant to be harsh.

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Thanks for the info, altho I have read on many sites they can be kept in FW with no trouble to the fish, They are born in fresh water. Later in life move up the river into brackish, then they move back to FW to spawn. Perhaps I will build an asian brackish biotope soon. In the mean time he is still young and should be just fine in his new home, allot better than the lfs he was in.

Hachi's new home:

Hachi inspecting his new home, what a cute face!

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
THat's an awesome fish!! I think my LFS has them. Does anyone know how large they get?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store