Upgrading Light Strip in All-Glass Hood?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I have an All-Glass hood that is several years old - it's a single light strip. I want to upgrade to the twin tube strip light, but does anyone know if this will fit on my hood? I can't seem to find the dimensions (other than length) anywhere and the area for the light fixture on my hood is the exact size of the single light strip. The picture makes the twin tube look larger but I don't know where I'd find a hood for it if it is. :huh:

webcricket

Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I found an e-mail address for All-Glass. Hopefully they will reply back. The thing is that I need to order the twin tube fixture online, so if I need a new hood I'll want to get it at the same time to save on shipping. ;)

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Both of the boxes say "strip light for use over glass tops only", so I would assume you should be using a glass top for them.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
i don't think you'll need a new hood, as the retrofit kit should fit right into the old light fixture (or so it would seem). if you can't get it from All-Glass, try this one
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12111&inm=1&N=2004+113347+2032
it's a bit pricey, but it will change your standard flourescent to a compact flourescent which is higher output.

just for comparison, the retrofit for 1- to 2-bulb standard flourescent by Coralife costs about the same ($90 for a ten gal size), and can only work with T-12 bulbs which I find to be much dimmer.

heck, for that price, you'd be much better off just buying a whole new twin-bulb strip light by All-Glass ($40).

i don't know if that helped at all...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
From memory, the light fixture is the same size as the regular single tube setup. But I am not 100% sure, I also cannot find the actual sizes in question.

The 'for use over glass tops only' refer to it not being used over an open aquarium, due to the electronics being explosed etc. on a normal AGA hood, there is the 'cutout' with the plexiglass, it can be used over that.

Personally I would question the reason for upgrading the light, if it's to grow plants, 2 light strips would give you ~1.5wpg which would limit possible choices for you. If you just want a little more light in there, it should be fine.

webcricket

Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I am upgrading to keep low-light plants (java fern, java moss, crypt, anubias), so 1.5 wpg should be fine for the purpose. I looked at the compact fluorescent fixtures, but the single light fixture is 65 watts and in that case I'd be looking at needing CO2 with that much light.

I'm still waiting on the reply from All-Glass about the size issue. I'll call tomorrow if they don't get back to me today.

gwallace123

Registered Member
Sep 3, 2006
I would like to upgrade as well. Did you ever get a reply from All-glass? If you did, does the twin tube fixture fit?

webcricket

Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Responded in the other thread as well, but just in case...

Yeah, I did get a response from AGA. They said the twin tube fixture is 1/2" wider than the single and won't fit my hood. If I upgrade, I'll need to get a new hood or retrofit the existing fixture.

vidiots

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
Wakefield, New Hampshire
I upgraded the lights on my All-Glass 55gal tank from the standard ones to the power compact stip fixture. I found that although the new strips were the same length they were an inch or two wider. I only had the plastic top at the time with the window in the middle for the light strip. I found that the new light strip just barely fit between the hinged door on the front and my filter & heater in the back. The window in the top was narrrower than the light strip, but I used it anyway since the bulbs were mounted in the fixture where they would still show through the glass. A glass top would probably have worked much better, but I didn't have one. The top of a 55Gal is kinda narrow to begin with and the wider fixtures make ya really cramped for space on the top.

I did end up getting enought light to grow plants, so from that point of view it worked. It didn't look awkward or anything, it was just sometimes difficult to open the doors if the fixture was too far forward, and would vibrate against the HOB filter if too far back making some noise, and there was only about 1/8" of movement between the two positions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store