20T with BB gobies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
Hi,

I have a new 20T that I am thinking of making a BW tank. I would like to put in some BB gobies, and would like to know how many, and what sex ratio? I like a species only tank, but am curious if you think anything else would go well or fit in my tank.

Another question I have is regarding the water. I will buy Instant ocean, but since I notice most LFS sell them has freshwater, I dont think i should put my fish directly into BW, as it might shock them? What would be the method of bringing up the salinity slowley into the tank?

Third question, i would like to do a planted tank with sand substrate. What plants will readily grow in BW (lighting is no issue and i will make whatever adjustments are necessary). I also want to make some oranments for the tank (slate caves, etc. with aquarium silicon to hold them together).

Right now my tank is cycling as a FW tank (fishless cycle). I have awhile to get everything ready but wanted some info from the experts about everything. Thanks.

Sandy

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Starting the tank out as freshwater and acclimating everything at once should work out fine. For BBGs, I haven't read anything about sex ratios or even how to sex them, I'm pretty sure its not a big concern with this particular fish, although someone with more experience might chime in otherwise.

Since BBGs seem to stick mostly to the bottom, a few mollies might serve to liven up the midwater area.

Plants for brackish: several people on here have had success with java fern, java moss, and different vals in light brackish. I think there are a few others that I'm missing.

When I added my mollies, they were being kept in freshwater, my tank was at SG 1.004. I floated the bag for about 20 min, then poked a few holes in int, another 20 min, more holes, another 20 min, then added them to the tank. This acclimation process seemed to work fine, as they are all healthy and breeding. What I would probably do is get everything in the tank thats being sold in freshwater then over the period of a week or so bring the salinity up slowly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store