Compact Fluorescent Conversion Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikej2244

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
I have a 36 Gallon Bowfront with a standard enclosed hood. The hood only hold 1 - 20 Watt Bulb. So I know I need to go to CF to get the kind of light I want in my planted tank. However I would like to keep the hood as is. The tank/hood is this one:

As I understand it, the 96 Watt Bright kit (single bulb) from AH supply (http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt.htm) is probably what I need. That will get me towards 3 WPG but I have a few questions for anyone who has done it.

Just want to validate before I spend the $60 that that conversion kit will fit INSIDE my standard Single Tube light hood that I bought with the tank.

Secondly, I need a suggestion for which bulb to go with. AH Supply lists several choices (or if you have another suggestion). I suppose I should go with the 6700K? My goal is the best looking light that will promote growth in a planted community tank. I Inject DIY CO2 and keep a few tetras along with Apongeton, giant Val, Java Fern, Rotala Indica, Crypts, etc.

96 Watt 5000K Bulb - a rich white light for freshwater setups, good for making resds stand out
96 Watt 6700K Bulb - Very BRight, Full Spectrum, Clear white light, like daylight in the middle of the afternoon under a clear blue sky
96 Watt 10,000K Bulb - Sometimes called super purified daylight, this is a daylight bulb with a slightly bluish Cast and is very attrractive in a marine setup

Thanks for the help.

Oh, they also sell a 96 Watt Deep Blue 03 Actinic and a 96 Watt Combo Compact bulb, where one bulb is 10,000k Daylight and one is Deep Blue 03 Actinic?

Last edited:

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Phone AH Supply and explain your concerns. If you give them the dimensions of your hood, they will help you if they can.

For bulbs, most people go for 6700K in a planted tank. Avoid the actinics.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
A H Toll Free: 1 - 888 -859-5106 Kim
Measure the inside dimensions of your box and have them ready when you talk with Kim and he will advise you of what you can put into them.

Len

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
i have a 10k superdaylight hood over my aquarium (4x55watt bulbs) and it looks great :D My Rainbows look very nice under it and so does my petrified wood. Stay away from the 'blue' kind as they are only for marine and plants can only use the red spectrum methinks...

10k is the max you can go without entering the blue spectrum though so don't go anywhere else.

debaric

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
N.J.
www.myspace.com
yea Kim is very helpful, I had to ask him if the 2X55 would fit in my current light strip. I feel so much better about giving AH the business than some huge corporation anyway. They even write you an email when they shipped your item and when you should probably expect it based on where you live, I should be getting mine this friday.

I think 6700 looks great. 5500 is supposed to look like early morning sunlight.

mikej2244

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Got my 55 Watt + 6700 conversion kit last night and got it all in. Looks great and conversion was simple. Props to AHSupply for a good product and good people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store