Any suggestions for 5 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

riddle4sphinx

AC Members
Jul 19, 2006
Illinois
Hey everyone!
A friend just gave me their 5 gallon tank, a tall hexagon shaped tank. I've cleaned everything, because it came with rocks for the bottom, a big rock with a hole in it, and some plastic plants. I would love to get some fish for it, but I have no idea what can live comfortably in this small of a tank. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!

gst4life

New 20 gallon!
Aug 5, 2006
Maryland
1 Betta . Ditch all of the plastics that came with it because They could have bad bacteria or diseases on them. Buy brand new stuff. Also , cycle the tank before buying fish. its in The Article section(Its still there , so dont say its on another site or something.)

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
A betta would work in a 5g if the filter isn't too strong and you can find a heater for a 5g...

OR, a few male endlers--they're small and colourful and active. You could put a small group of them into a 5g.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
You don't need to ditch the plastic stuff - it drying out should be enough to kill off any bad-aquatic organism and if your really paranoid, pouring boiling water over it should kill almost anything living on it, wether it be aquatic or terrestrial.

Personally, in that size a tank, I would try to find some licourice or pygmy gouramies and get 1 male and 2 females of wichever species you decide on and nothing else except maybe some snails and shrimp.

1_luv_betta

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
Oakland,ca
1 Betta And Alot Of Ghost Shrimp

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
1 male betta or 2 female bettas should live comfortably in a tank like that, granted that gravel vac'in and water changes are regularly done. probably doesn't have much surface area because of the shape but good enough for any betta. you'll also be able to add a couple of amano shrimps or a snail as a cleanup crew.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
icecubez189 said:
1 male betta or 2 female bettas should live comfortably in a tank like that, granted that gravel vac'in and water changes are regularly done. probably doesn't have much surface area because of the shape but good enough for any betta. you'll also be able to add a couple of amano shrimps or a snail as a cleanup crew.
nah, too small for 2 female bettas. they'll fight. F bettas need at least 5g per fish IMO. but anything else listed here will work great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store