Help me build a 30 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

astrocreep101

AC Members
Aug 11, 2006
Okay-

A Couple of you may remember my post two days ago about a ten gallon that was way to overstocked. I dedcided that I couldn't part ways with my angel & sailfin molly; however my red-tail shark I gotta get rid of right? Or atleast should.

Anyways I got a GREAT deal on a 30 gallon and Need to start over again once my ten gallon is cycled, so I got time to think this out nice and easy. The angel and the sailfin only reach out 7 inches apiece so I have 11 inches available. Any cool suggestions? I would like the 30 gal to be realively aggressive. :dance2:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
okay, I don't advocate the Inch rule. a 30 could house a pair of angels and some dithers. with the sailfin molly.

btw, I think mollies reach about 3-4"

the angel could be as large as 8-10" some larger depending upon the species.
I have a 30 with a pair of angels and a pair of altispinosa(bolivian rams)

astrocreep101

AC Members
Aug 11, 2006
I thought the inch rule was something all aquarists lived by? Well, besides having fish that need more room to swim.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The more likely fact is that knowledgable fish keepers use a variety of factors for tank stocking decisions. You can not narrow it down to a simple math issue.
Check out liv2padl's post in this thread, it really gets to the heart of the matter...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80894

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
absolutely. The inch per gallon rule is outdated. Even when it was advocated, it was more of a rule of thumb, and not a hard-and-fast certainty. Living things are much too variable to be summed up in terms of a one-dimensional (length) measurement.

Definitely check out liv2padl's entry. It touches on bio-load, as well as behavior, compatibility, and dietary considerations. As Rbishop said, those are the factors that experienced fish-keepers use to determine how to stock their tanks. The inch per gallon rule is based only on bio-load, I'm guessing, and breaks down completely with heavy-bodied fish like Oscars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store