30g BW need Skimmer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I will be setting up a 29g BW set up:

Mix of Sand / Florida Crushed Coral
Emp 300 or 400
250w heater
I may try some mangroves, most likely Banana Plants and Java fern.

Tankmates will be:
1-2 Figure 8
6 BB Gobies

My question is do BW tanks need protien skimmers like full marine do?

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
I would say because of the non total marine setup that the skimmer would not be too efficient because foam canno develop to easily. so it cold work, just not well

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
paku said:
Tankmates will be:
1-2 Figure 8
6 BB Gobies
Sorry to hyjack but I'll be converting my cycled 29 to brackish this week and was planning on 1 Fig8 and 2 knigh gobies. I was told Fig8's and Bb gobies dont do well with more than 1 of each, was I misinformed? It was on this board, and I was suggested knight gobies because they are better in groups than bb gobies. True or not?

I would love to do 2 fig8s and 3/4 gobies of any kind. Is this possible? Do gobies have to be in a species only or can bb and knight(fandance) gobies be OK together?

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I would only recomend 1 F8 for a 29g... I know I said 1-2 but I am really just cosidering one now after allot of reading.

As for the BB gobies, they are the type of fish that you either get one, or get a large group... I think 6 would be very happy in a 30g... just make sure to have allot of hidey spots and caves... atleast one cave per goby about the diameter of a quater and a couple inches deep. And they are picky eaters. Mine only eats frozen bloodworms and brine... and from what I have read I am lucky he is taking that.

I would not Mix Knight w/ BB gobies, one or the other.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
If you go for knight gobies, try for a male/female pair. A single knight can be a bit zippy for a figure 8 so keeping a pair seems to calm them down a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store