Male & female bettas-- seeing each other OK?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
I just got my very first female betta and she's in a tank that is side by side to a male betta's tank. At the moment I've got a divider blocking their views, but if I remove it, the two of them will be able to see each other perfectly. I'm not sure if I should remove the divider or not...

The reason I'm hesitant is because my male betta gets extremely agitated and 'macho' when he sees other male bettas, and I'd hate to put him through this kind of stress on a daily basis. I don't know how males/females react to each other, and I'm wondering what they might do--would it be too much of a tease to have them like this or would they enjoy each other's (visual) company?

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
Hi Ms. Bubbles,

I do believe that female bettas should be kept in groups of at least 3? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I think its ok to show them each other, he will probably blow up a bubble nest for her and want to mate though. Just me 2 cents.

Sandy

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
In my experience putting a male and female in a divided tank where they can see eachother is not healthy. I had the female in the middle and a male on either side of her. The stress was hard on the female and she wasn't looking to good. But I had to go to the store so I decided to remove 1 male when I got home. I was gone maybe 20 minutes and when I got home I found 1 male had gotten through the barrier and the female had killed him. So I scooped him out and gave him a proper water burial before removing the divider. But the stress was still too much for her so I moved her to a totally different tank. But your experience may be different.

As far as female bettas needing groups I don't believe that is the case. I don't believe I have read that anywhere. Mine seems perfectly happy as the centerpiece of my guppy tank. She gets a good treat once a month too!

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Thanks for your input. There's no danger of him getting to her side, since they're in different tanks.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
SubluxT7 said:
I do believe that female bettas should be kept in groups of at least 3?
It's either 1, or 3 or more (atleast three is needed to spread around any agression in a group - with only 2 one fish will always be targeted).

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Ive done a little research on other sites and it seems that when males and females see each other, it triggers some kind of spawning behaviour, and the female becomes full of eggs, and the male starts building bubble nests. I don't really see the point of putting them both through all that every day, so I guess I'll keep them from seeing each other.

Thanks everyone.

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
you are right, with 2 they always seem to pick on each other...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store