Siamese Tigerfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AcTwisted

AC Members
Jan 22, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I have an empty 125 gallon tank (72"x18"x20") that I want to set up & Siamese Tigerfish (Coius microlepis) caught my eye. Anyone who has kept them or has experience with them, any tips you could share would be great. (ie... foods, tankmates or best kept alone) I've read they can live in complete freshwater tanks, is that true? Also, how common are they? Do LFS carry them regularly or is this going to be a hunt to track one down?

thanks in advance:)

MrArapaima

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
LONDON
Visit site
ST are one of the most awesome fishes I ever kept. Hobbyist in asia mostly Singapore kept them even without adding lots of salt. a school of at least 6 will do but nothing less as aggression will take place. they prefer temp of 22- 27 c and that brings out the best in their color. but they could grow big so you need a big tank if you wanna keep a school. any other big tankmates are good but nothing small enough to fit in their big mounth as they are known to be very good hunters. Food wise juveniles like bloodworms and as they mature you can have prawns as staple food and try training them with pellets. when they get used to live food which they prefer, they won't touch any other so try and avoid that. hope this help and enjoy your tigers!

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I have both a Coius microlepis (3.5”) and Coius quadrifasciatus (2.75”).
They are both in the same tank and they have tank mates.
The only issues I ever see is that they try to chase off my Orange Chromide & Green Chromides from eating the algae around their hiding spots. It is sorta funny to watch that because the microlepis will push the Green Chromides away with its mouth like a bulldozer slowly pushes a boulder. The green chromides seem very laid back and don't even react to this pushing, but continue to graze else where in the tank.
The Coius microlepis and Coius quadrifasciatus hang together most of the time.
Coius quadrifasciatus is very curious and has no problems with any of my fish.
I have had both of they from 1.005 to 1.018 with no issues. I don't see any signs of stress.
When it comes to feeding they come to the top and wait to be hand fed.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
hey are in a 150 gal.
"What ever they want to eat"... :D
I feed them
Frozen; Kill, Planton, Mussels
Live; Blackworms, Guppies, Ghost Shrimp, Live Brine Shrimp (Snack),
I have sand.
They have 2 structures one is a coral head that is very wavy, this creates a cave that they hang around.
The other is a artifical cave.
They also hang in the plants.
Caulerpa prolifera is only 5" tall.
Check out my other posting "my 150 g tank"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store