lionfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
Anybody have any advice on aquarium size for a lionfish? I really want the fish to have enough room to do well and live a long life,but I am not wanting to take up anymore space than I have too. I know for most fish it is better to have a longer tank than a taller one. But what about the lionfish? And would it do well being the only fish in the tank?

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
Oh and I am not interested in the dwarfs.......

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
If you are thinking something like a Volitans Lionfish, I would say 50 gallons minimum...

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
a fu-man-chu lionfish can live in a 30g well, but they are rare, and if you find one, it's gonna cost ya.....

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
fishcatch22 said:
a fu-man-chu lionfish can live in a 30g well, but they are rare, and if you find one, it's gonna cost ya.....
Fu Manchu Lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus) are not rare or hard to find. My LFS has them all the time and they sell for around $25 a piece.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
tai95 said:
Fu Manchu Lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus) are not rare or hard to find. My LFS has them all the time and they sell for around $25 a piece.
wow, really? the one's at my LFS are $200! I guess it depends on how cheap they get them from the fishermen...... and I though they were hard to find, since I saw them for the first time at my LFS, and I can't seem to find them at any websites. sorry.......

Last edited:

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
I just did a google on the fu manchu (kinda creepy).......I am talking about the regular lionfish. You know the ones with all the feathers. Antbody think one of them would do good in one of the taller 29 gal. tanks? And if I do have to go with a 55 gal. anybody think it would work with a puffer and a angle too. Total of 3 fish.

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
WOW I aint got that much room.......Are you sure about that. The guy at my LFS tells me 20 will be enough. I thought he was b.s.ing me at the time. It sucks that you cant trust your LFS they just want to make the sell. :help: I really want a lionfish. Whats your opnion on just a lionfish alone in the tank? How small could I go then? And would a lionfish do well in a tank alone?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Violotan lions will hit 16 inches in length according to one source. A 55g is only 12" front to back, including the glass. How is a 16 inch fish gonna turn around in there?

Just so you know, there really isn't that big a difference in the space a 55 takes up and the spce a 75/90 takes up. A 55 is 12 inches front to back, and 4 feet long. A 75/90 is 18 inches front to back, and 4 feet long. (these measurements are excluding the filters)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store