Mystery snails coming out of shells...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
...all the way out!

Made a post here a couple days ago about some of my snails laying on the subtrate foot in the air. Put the ones so affected in the Q-tank.

Came home last night to find a snail floating at the top of the tank-with the shell at the bottom. This morning during the "Morning Fishie Check" saw "the Great Pumpkin" (a big orange colored snail) sitting on a plant all chewed up. Reached in to pull him out, and the shell came loose from the "Meat". One other snail in Q-tank still laying where he has been (closed up) for last couple days.

Readings all good (NH3, N02, N03, PH), temp 78 degrees, all other fishies swimming happily.

Ideas?

aardvark1

Sep 27, 2005

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
yeah, your fish might have have them a beating. i just know a snail won't survive without its shell. not because of lack of defense, but it simply won't live (just think of turtles)

aardvark1

Sep 27, 2005
never have seen the fishies paying any attention to the snails; although someone was snacking on Great Pumpkin....

He (?) and several of the dead 'uns were bought about a month ago; others about 3-4 months since being bought.

Got 10 new golden snails today (auction on ebay); put them in Q-tank as soon as Postman left-handy living 100 feet from shop! Just walked home to check on them and they are moving around exploring the tank.

As for the Betta attacking the snails-neither Phred or Phred II have ever had any interest in the small pond snails; wish they did!

aardvark1

Sep 27, 2005
Had a thought!

Do recall seeing a lot of empty , white pond snail shells in the gravel when doing the weekly gravel vac-ing; so maybe some are the fishies ARE eating them at night when I'm not watching....

aardvark1

Sep 27, 2005
Algae wafers and toss in a cucumber slice every so often

tmtpowers

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Burlington, NC
www.ferretvillage.org
Sounds like they may be starving to death. Snails have a HUGE appetite! For my 6 mysteries, they eat 2 large slices of zucchini, a whole collard green leaf (BIG leaf), 8 long french cut green beans, or 12 algae wafers (depending on the night depends on the food though they get fed a much more verity of foods) per night. When a snail dies, their muscle (basically their entire body) goes limp as with any dead creature which means they are no longer able to hold themselves in their shells. Try upping their food given to them and see if they don't perk up for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store