Wild Caught Bass in a Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rosswake

AC Members
Aug 7, 2006
I have a friend that is keeping a juvenile largemouth bass in a 75 gallon tank. He just caught it about two weeks ago and it is alone in the tank. I was wanting to know if anyone has experience with this? I know this fish is going to outgrow that tank in no time at all, but does anyone have an idea how fast they grow in captivity? Right now, it is about 5" long. Thanks in advance.

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
I would think it would grow a few inches per year like most large tropical freshwater fish.

What is he going to do with it once it gets too big?? I would mount it($$), or find someone with a private pond(with no outlets!), and ask to put it there.

BloodThirsty28

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
yeah I just did a quick google search on this. I read min tank size should be 250. Sound right anyone?

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Here you go, from http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/bass.html#largemouth

"Growth rates are highly variable with differences attributed mainly to their food supply and length of growing season. Female bass live longer than males and are much more likely to reach trophy size. By age two or three, females grow much faster than male bass. Males seldom exceed 16 inches, while females frequently surpass 22 inches. At five years of age females may be twice the weight of males. One-year old bass average about seven inches in length and grow to an adult size of 10 inches in about 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 years. The oldest bass from Florida whose age has been determined by fisheries biologists was 16 year of age. Generally, trophy bass (10 pounds and larger) are about 10 years old. The formula used by Florida scientists to estimate weight based on length and girth is: log(weight, in grams) = -4.83 + 1.923 x log(total length, in mm) + 1.157 x log(girth, in mm). Click here for an automated formula, and here to determine how to properly measure your fish."

rosswake

AC Members
Aug 7, 2006
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I thought they would grow much faster for some reason, but it sounds like they could be kept for a decent amount of time before needing to be released. I like the idea of releasing it into a private pond, it might turn into a docile pet or something as long as noone knows it is there and decides to "fish" for it.

hmt321

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
tons of people keep native fish, pm me I can give you some websights and forums that specilize in fish like LMB, etc

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Keep in mind that in some states and areas that it is illegal to keep native types of fish. You may want to check with your local DNR to make sure that your friend can have him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store