Trying To Setup A Planted Freshwater Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
I am thinking of setting up a freshwater planted tank. At the moment I have a 46 Gallon Saltwater Tank (that I am keeping SW) and I am going to throw something together and set it in my bedroom. Here is the extra equipment I have:
(1) 36" Dual Flourescent Fixture
(1) Emperor 400 Bio-Wheel Mechanical Filter.
Not much, but I like to keep a 36" long tank, either a 30G or 45G? (does the height matter? Anyways, can someone give me a general run down on how to make this happen, or at least point me to some good references. I am just worried about the maintenance and buying expensive equipment. It can't be as bad as SW can it?

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Okay, Now I have got some information. I am going to get:
Tank: 30 Gallon
Lighting: Already Have 60W Strip
Substrate: 30 lbs of Eco-Complete Plant
Heater: 100W
Filter: None or Some type of Canister Filter, not sure on it (probably trade my Emperor 400 in at the LFS).

Other than the plants, anything I am missing?

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Seeing that you have around 2wpg, you may want to consider a CO2 system, like a DIY yeast or NUtrafin ladder system or the more expensive but reliable pressurized CO2 system. If you decide to go CO2, you'll want a canister filter because they can be set to cause less surface agitation that would gas off CO2.

The last thing you need to consider are fertilizers. Ferts are broken down into 2 groups, macros and micros. Macro nutrients are consumed in large quantities by the plants and are nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium. Micros are minerals like iron, copper, and manganese and can usually be found pre-mixed. The most cost effective way to dose ferts is to buy them in bulk in their dry state, you can buy them at www.gregwatson.com and the site has instructions on how to dose.

If you find dry dosing still a little intimidating, Seachem makes a line of products that are simple to use. You only need Seachem Flourish (for micros), Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potassium. You can use Flourish Excel as a carbon additive if you do not want to do CO2, though it's not as effective as CO2 injection.

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Alright, that is what I am talking about. I really appreciate the help. I will review those options to see where I want to go with this. Probably will get the Canister filter and carbon additive instead of the CO2 system for cost issues. Is there anything I should really worry about testing for? Other than PH and nitrogen/ammonia? Thanks again.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
You should test your kH if you plan to inject CO2 via DIY or nutrafin yeast method. Measuring the kH and comparing it to the pH will give you the CO2 level in the tank, a low kH may also mean that you should not inject CO2 until use raise it, or else it may lead to a pH crash with the addition of CO2. A kH of 3 and up is fine for injecting CO2.

If you use Flourish Excel instead then you don't need to worry about the kH, but it is less effective than CO2 and will cost more in the long run.

Another useful test to have is a phosphate test. You want some phosphates for your plants but a high level of phosphates will lead to algae issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store