Filter current looks too strong

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnsl

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I'm very new to this.

I was foolish enough to accept that a plain 20L tank was enough for 3 1" orandas and 3 white clouds.

Several posts will cover bits of this if you want to catch up - but you don't need to ...

First Help Post

"Don't worry, you'll be fine"

Anyway I'm up to the point where I've bought a few critical things to get the 20L to start cycling and hopefully keep my little charges alive while I sort out a larger tank .......

So I added my filter - it's the smallest I could get - suitable for up to 30 L - It's a Hydor. Never heard of 'em, not that I've heard of any filter maker! It's a basic filter - suction pad attached to the side of the tank - fully immersed - pulls water in through its side and through a spongy material and then up through the motor and out a vent pointing away from the side it's stuck to.

I set the control to mid-way and stuck it to the side of the tank and plugged it in.

Woah - there was a serious current in my tank - that's not right.

So I took it out again - set the setting to min and put it back in on the side of the tank - still a pretty serious current.

So I did a rethink and stuck it to the back of the tank near one end with the flow going forward and I moved the Eloida so the flow streamed into it in an attempt to break up the flow a bit.

But there is still a fair bit of water movement - the fish are fairly active and I'm not entirely sure they're happy about things. But they tend to get that way when I move things around so it's not clear how much is due to the change and how much is the current.

There are places in the tank which appear to have fairly quiet water, but the orandas seem to be swimming into the current a bit and occasionally one or another seems to be being pushed along a bit.

I'm wondering if they might get exhausted having to be more active than before - and it just seems to me that there is too much movement in the tank for them.

.... an hour later (I forgot to submit !) they seem less active and I'm a bit less worried - but the orandas do seem to be spending a lot of time in the cornor opposite the filter and the white clouds in the centre, which looks calmer.

I'm guessing that the orandas are less fond of currents as they have a lot of fin area to get pushed around whereas the white clouds are very streamlined and seem well capable. But I believed the Pet Shop Guy so I have fairly extensive credulity.

Any thoughts ?

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Mgamer20o0 said:
try putting out flow towards the glass so hits and spreads out.
that's a good suggestion. I'm a strong believer in over-filtration, so I don't think a filter rated at 1.5 times your tank capacity is too much. Especially with goldfsh like Orandas which are messy and produce lots of waste.

If directing the current elsewhere does not work or is not possible, you could try attaching some filter media to the outflow. I looked up that filter, it sounds like the Hydor internal filter and it doesn't look like you can point it any other way but straight out. Something like filter floss or BioFoam would work perfectly for this. You can just use an elastic band to attach it to the vent such that it diffuses the flow. Steer clear of kitchen sponges as they often are impregnated with anti-bacterial or anti-mildew substances that aren't good for your fish or your biological filter.

Good luck, John! I am glad that you are making such an effort to learn all you can :D The learning curve is very steep in the beginning, but I think you're coming along fine.

Last edited:

johnsl

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Thank you.

Yes, there is no easy way to direct the flow - it comes out away from the wall it's stuck to.

But I do feel that the current is a bit strong for the orandas so I will look at they type of things you suggest such as slowing the exit water with some filter materil of some type - or rigging up some type of redirection myself.

Thanks for pointing out that I shouldn't use general household material as a filter - I'd not have though of that - but as you say, they can often be impregnated with bacteriacides for fungicides.

John.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Another idea for the redirection.... I have heard about this used on betta tanks (but have never tried it myself). There's acrylic soap holders with suction cups (buy a new one of course!). You can get them in clear. Position it under the outflow, it will send the current across the top instead of downward.

LtHorn

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
I dont know exactly what you have but it sounds like the outlet of your filter is a tube of some sort, I would suggest going to home depot and looking for a brass or copper elbow (assuming that the outlet is a tube that has a outer diamater of 1/2 in or so) that way you can redirect the flow to the side of the tank.

i suggest copper or brass because I know they will not oxidize which would release toxins into the tank. now I dont know of any reason why those two metals would be bad for a fish tank but if someone else does please let me know.

if you dont want to chance it, Home Depot would have PVC piping with the same diamaters, they would just have a biger profile. i hope this helps.

also my expertise is computer water cooling systems so I would suggest not doing anything that would impeede flow. I say this because hydors are used in PC cooling systems. And they are nitorious for not having a lot of over head (force of which they move the water) theirfore by over stressing the pump by restricting the flow will cause it to overheat and in turn die out sooner.

i would suggest going to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and typing in "pvc elbow", "brass elbow", or "copper elbow" hopefully one of those can be addapted to your filter. i hope this helps.

LT

johnsl

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks for these suggestions - I'll investigate the elbow bend idea and see if I can find an inert one that fits.

In the meantime I have moved the filter to a horizontal position on the back of the tank near the bottom so the flow is running foward along one of the side walls and I have placed a couple of stones in the flow - but not actually obstructing the outlet. This seems to have reduced the effect of the flow on the rest of the tank.

John.

LtHorn

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
i have been thinking about a possible setup, but for me to design it i need to know a few things. the outlet for your filter, is it a tube? and also what is it made out of ie plastic, or rubber. also what is the outer diamater of the outlet.

what im thinking is taking pvc tubing and having it go around the top of the tank. the pipe will have slits in the bottom of it directing the water out in intervals which would decrease the flow at any point. im going to draw up a rough sketch and scan it in when im done.

LT

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Stick with PVC. While copper will not oxidize it can deteroiate with the natural salts in any water. Copper ions will slowly pull free, especially in a warm environment. Copper, in high enough doses will harm your fish. It is used in extremely small doses in some medicines, but it is stressfull.

johnsl

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks Lhorn,

No need for a diagram - I can see what you are sugesting.

I'm an engineer by profession so I have no difficulty working out a solution - my query was more about whether a current is a problem or not.

My initial positioning was based on pictures of other people's tanks.

As I am now set up there doesn't seem to be a problem in the tank - the stones and plant difuse the flow sufficiently that there is no overall current (there had been a circular (oval) current going right around the tankwhich I did think was a problem.

But for all I know the fish may have loved it - I just know so little about them.

John.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store