Cichlids and barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grundy

"A Buckeye Behind Enemy Lines"
Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
I would like to get a general consensus from some of the experienced fish keepers around here. I currently have a 125 gallon tank of barbs (see signature) that will likely re-become a cichlid tank at which time the barbs will be moved. My question is this: would it be bad to have one or two younger cichlids (severum, green terror, etc.) in with these guys for a while? I don't want either set of fish to be harmed but I would think that as long as the barbs don't fit in the cichlids' mouths they would be OK. I don't want them to just survive, though, I want them to truly thrive. I have heard of a lot of people having mixed tanks like this but I want to be relatively sure first. Any comments are appreciated (it's OK - I have my flameproof underwaer on :) ) Thanks in advance!

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
too mean for community tanks, but can be kept together with most other cichlids... correct me if i am wrong

Tommy Gun

Fish Fanatic
Aug 1, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Well, once again, I an NOT the expert on this topic either, but I have some relatively recent experience with this subject. I just stocked my tank with 9 juvenille cichlids of a very aggressive nature, as I have been told a million times. There are 3 P. Kennyi and 6 M. auratus in the tank right now and I was having issues with bullying and just all around mean-ness.

But a couple of days ago I read a story in a magazine about using 'dither' fish or 'target' fish to help calm a cichlid tank down. Basically it amounts to adding other very fast fish (non-cichlid types) that are too big for a cichlid to eat into the tank. This is supposed to help keep the cichlids a little more busy and thus, pay less attention to chasing each other or the females.

So, I tried first with some clown loaches and this worked out great. The tank was almost instantly different as far as the fish's behavior goes. So, I added some of my largest platties to the tank and now it is almost as if they are all sharing the platties demeanor, making the tank nice and quiet.

Back to the point though....Some barbs are also used as dither/target fish. I know for sure tiger barbs are used, so you should be ahead of the game on that one. I wouldnt go as far as to say I think you should mix the fishes like you are asking, but I would think you could as long as the cichlids and barbs share the same needs as far as water types and tank conditions are concerned.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
The tiger barbs are likely to be the problem. They will rush in and bite the fins of slower fish. Rosy barbs would be fine with blue acaras or similar fish. For the tiger barbs you might need a fast swimming no-nonsense cichlid instead of a slow lurker severum.

The barbs would tend to like softer water, so you probably won't want to put African lake cichlids with them. You'd probably want to make the water as hard and alkiline as possible for the Africans. S. Americans or African river cichlids would be a better match for water quality.

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Hello, well I would say no with the Green Terror. When they are very young they may be ok but once they get alittle older they will chase the barbs around. I couldn't tell you about the severum. I myself have 2 Blue Acara Cichlids and they live peacefuly with my little cherry barbs. The Blue Acara looks alot like a Green Terror but they tend to be alot calmer and less aggressive. I also at one time had some Gold Barbs in with them and they did fine together. Just my 2 cents for ya.

blkwdw13

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Some where in the flat land.
Visit site
I would really have to say it's all hit and miss with the factor being on the fish personality. I've a Green Terror with Tiger Barbs and they were fine but then I have a Texas that was introduced in with some barbs and he bullied his way to his own tank.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
I've had a variety of cichlids with my tiger barbs and rosy barbs without any problems (either way) to this point. The list includes nic, bahia, severum, firemouth, ebjd, gt, hrp, spino, rainbow. The ebjd and gt are still young (about 5"), so a problem may develop later on, but so far, so good.

Grundy

Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
rmcder said:
I've had a variety of cichlids with my tiger barbs and rosy barbs without any problems (either way) to this point. The list includes nic, bahia, severum, firemouth, ebjd, gt, hrp, spino, rainbow. The ebjd and gt are still young (about 5"), so a problem may develop later on, but so far, so good.
Thanks for the input! Any pics, rmcder?

Grundy

Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
Oh, BTW, I meant thanks for the input to everyone! :D

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Family shot from about a year ago...
The clown loaches thought the tiger barbs were loaches and were shoaling with them! :dive2:
In the shot you have a nic, a red bahia (exiting left), a firemouth, a hrp, a severum, and a T. sp. Mixteco albino

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store