Jack Dempsey in a 29 G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

solenoid

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Hi,

I'm going to be setting up my first aquarium, and would really like a JD. However, I live in an apartment and am paranoid about setting up a large tank. So, would one JD be okay in a 29 gallon?

Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think that verges on small for me. Only way I would go that route is for the very short term, lets say while setting up your 55 gal and cycling it. The JDs can easily hit 10" and in a 29 he will not have any swimming room even at half that size.

How about a pair of rams?

edit...left out a word

Last edited:

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Yeah, a jd is going to be too big for that tank. You could maybe get away with a firemouth or a rainbow. You could try honduran red points (one for sure, maybe a pair that get along with one another). Sajica would be similar to the hrp. Spinosisimus. All nice fish with personality. If you go to a 40g (36" versus 30") you can think about 2-3 small cichlids from the list above. I've got one with a rainbow, a spino, a runty hrp, and a runty electric blue dempsey (which is going to have to be moved out as it grows).

solenoid

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Thanks for the reply, even though it was what I didn't want to hear ;) .

You said that it wouldn't have swimming room. Do you mean lengthwise?
I may end up getting a 55G, I'll be looking into renter's insurance on Monday.
I'm drawn by the larger cichlids because of their personality. I originally wanted an Oscar, but am definitely not ready for a 75G or 100G yet.

Thanks again!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not only lengthwise/ free space, but deep enough from front to back so the fish can turn around.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
If you want personality, convicts are hard to beat and one would be fine in a 29 long term...heck, some folks have pairs that do well in a 29. A single convict makes a nice wet pet.

Eric

jbjmed

AC Members
May 21, 2005
i was worried about putting a big tank in my apartment also. but my 55 gallon looks just as sturdy as if it was on the bottom floor. ide say go with at least a 55 should hold no prob.

DHR

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
New York
Visit site
55 should be OK weight-wise. You could put it on a slightly larger piece of plywood if you're really nervous about the floor. Failing that, go with the suggestions above, to which I'd add Keyholes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store