Another snail question-pond snails, get rid of 'em?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I've had my java moss and water sprite in Q-tank for a couple weeks now. Noticed snails and determined they are pond snails. I have 3 clown loaches, a zebra and yo yo loach. Should I just add the plants and let the loaches feast or will some snails get away from them and cause problems later? I'd prefer snails that burrow into the gravel during daylight (MTS-right?)but is this a loss cause due to the loaches? If the snails can survive, there would be competition between "good" and "bad" snail right? So should I de-snail the plants then? Should I remove the fine filter so the snails can clean my hoses (j/k!)?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Common pond snails I do not consider "bad", but if you do, that is your call. The loaches should clear them completely - they do not burrow and have no operculum so cannot avoid the loaches.

MTS already established in a tank are almost never wiped out by loaches, as they do burrow plus have an operculum - if threatened they can "close the door" in the loach's face. Establishing them in a loach-stocked tank is a bit iffy, but should happen.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I am with RTR on this one. Snails are usually not a problem only if you want it to be. Another way to keep the population down is to lower your feeding, well fed snails reproduce well while if there is not enough food, then you will have fewer snails over time.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Well that saves me an extra step! I'm indifferent to them so I won't worry about them. Thanks!!

I may at a later date post a question about how long it would take to establish MTS in a tank if I removed the loaches temporarily. Of course, feel free to answer now if you'd like!:)

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Actually quite similar to cycling - small dose, little response.

If you put in one or two, the chance of survival to reproduction is low. If you put in multiple, in the dark, survival odds go way up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store