lepoard geckos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
does anyone here know anything about lep geckos?i cant find anything about them exept they eat crickets,mealworms,maggots,earthworms,and just about anything that can go into thier mouth.but i want to know how long they live because i have had mine for ten years and was wondering what the normal lifespan is.my geckos diet is,crickets in a vitamin powder,mealworms and as a small treat,raw hamburger.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Sounds like you are doing things right! They can live for 20 years, or even more if properly cared for. Dusting the food in vitamins and minerals is important, so you've got that down. I've always gone easy with meal worms for my lizards myself, but if your geck is fat and happy and active, and shedding well, just keep doing what you are doing. If you google "leopard gecko care sheet", you will get a bunch of hits. My oldest pet is a black king snake who will be 18 in October. Have fun!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
yes she is fat and has an evil temper because she used to belong to my brother who used to only feed her once every two weeks and just pull her off his shirt when she would climb witch resulted in tearing her toes/tonails off so she doesnt like being picked up anymore becaus she probably asociates being picked up leading to pain.she is fully healed on the outside but she doesnt have toenails on her front feet and she deffinetly has mental scars.she is one of my many pets,i have 2 german shepards,1 pomeranian shi-tzu mix,1 white little dog,2 hermet crabs,rose hair tarantula,1 cat,and a bunch of bettas,check sig.

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
Poor little girl! What specific type of info where you looking for on geckos? I have a beautiful female giant leopard gecko. I’ve had her for about 6 years now and when I adopted her she was already full grown, so I don’t know her exact age. Geckos can live upwards of 20+ years with proper care and diet.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
i have been looking up anything about them,the only thing i can find was care,not age,temper or anything like that.she has been though alot so i want her to have a good life

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
bettagurl said:
i have been looking up anything about them,the only thing i can find was care,not age,temper or anything like that.she has been though alot so i want her to have a good life
You need to understand that these lizards are not to be held, most do not like it. So please refrain from holding your girl. Holding her causes stress. I have 5 at home and only 1 likes to be held. He is an odd ball.
A good place to look for information is
http://www.anapsid.org/leopardgek.html and
http://www.drgecko.com/index.html
If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
thanks tricksterpup,that helped alot!I only handle her when im cleaning the tank(changing all the sustrate)and then i put her in a small tub.although she doesnt like being handled,she likes getting her back rubbed,she would sit there for ever if i kept rubbing her.i wanted to get another gecko to put with her,but she was over aggressive and tried to eat the other girl.thanks again :)

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
bettagurl said:
thanks tricksterpup,that helped alot!I only handle her when im cleaning the tank(changing all the sustrate)and then i put her in a small tub.although she doesnt like being handled,she likes getting her back rubbed,she would sit there for ever if i kept rubbing her.i wanted to get another gecko to put with her,but she was over aggressive and tried to eat the other girl.thanks again :)
At this point, keep her alone, I keep all my Geckos by themselves. Only during Breeding season is when I put them together. they will fight for food and basically they will loose weight and thin down. You really want your Lizard to have a real big fat tail. If it looks skinny, there could be something wrong with her or she isnt getting enough food.

My one gecko will come to the front of the cage when I open the doors and will climb on my hand.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
when i got her from my brother,you could see all her bones,her tail was very thin and i thought she was going to die.for one he only fed her 3 crickets once every other week,she was way over stressed,he used to lower his burmese python into her cage just to scare her,and as i mentioned she is missing most of her toenails and some of her toes because he used to just pull her off of things when she had a grip on something.now she is in a 25 gallon by herself,she is fat and gets fed every other day.my brothers also had other exotics that all but one died,he had 2 ball pythons(both died)one baby burmese python(he is selling it)another lep gecko(died)one baby alligator(died from poor nutrition)so this girl is lucky to have gotten away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store