homemade pond filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Okay I'd like to know if there are any good websites or if anyone has any advice on making a homemade filter for my 80 gallon containter pond. I do have a homemade filter for it now but it needs replacing. I'd like to replace it before winter.

Koilady

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Homemade Filtration System

Hi Flower. We've been making our own biological filters for years. Take a look at our clubs website at: www.geocities.com/ont_pondkeper and take a look at the diagram in the water condition section. It's so easy to make and maintain and I'm constantly getting calls or e-mails from those who have made this filter and how it's cleared up their green water or gotten rid of that pesky hair algae. Not to mention healthier fish.

Yours Koily, Lorraine
London & Southwestern Ontario Pond Keepers

cmslick3

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
I like your filter design.. I plan on making a down sized version of this for my tiny 20 gallon water garden which is now home to 2 small Koi, until winter. I have a plastic 1 gallon jug which previously held candy. It's perfect for this because I can easily add an input and output and a small drain to the bottom. My only question is since it's clear should I paint it dark to prevent algae from forming inside it, also how is the good bacteria affected by sunlight?

Thanks for the idea..

Koilady

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Hi Slick. That's a great question concerning painting your filter and one I'm not sure I know how to answer. I know that algae helps to filter the water and if the filter is working properly and made large enough for the size of the pond and the amount of fish, the algae will be kept at a minimum. If your pond is in the shade, you might not have to paint the container but if you do paint it, you can be guaranteed that you won't have any algae in your filter at all. So, I guess it's up to you. :) Let me know what you decide.

Hugs, Lorraine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store