Is it safe to use Baking Soda to raise kH?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Baking soda can be used top adjust water parameters, but it should be done carefully, with much testing, until you hit on the right amount and stable levels. Why do you want to raise your KH?

wetmanNY

AC Members
Yes it's safe, if you use it cautiously, a little at a time, and wait for the sodium bicarbonate to show its effect before you add more.

You're using bicarbonate of soda, not baking powder.

Because "bicarb" is soluble, it works swiftly and expends all its pH-raising power in one blast.

Along with it, you want another source of carbonates to steady the alkalinity and slowly raise the pH. That's why you also hear about "crushed coral" or aragonite, the same stuff that's used for "sand" in marine reef tanks. Just a little in the filter.

Sodium bicarbonate for the quick boost now. Aragonite for the long haul...

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
You can, if you add CO2.

What sort of stable pH are you looking for?

BumBumBee

AC Members
Mar 9, 2003
Thornton, CO
Visit site
6.5-6.8 for discus. I want some plants as well. I have a 45 gallon tank. UGF with 2-Hagen 802 power heads. I'm also getting a large canister. 4-30W lights and a heater. It's been running empty for 2 weeks. I'm also getting large amounts of driftwood.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
This is where my chemistry gets a little shaky. If you add peat, which adds humic and tannic acids to the water, does this lower the pH purely by using up the buffer? In other words, would it mess up for example the KH/pH/CO2 table? If so, then peat filtration would allow you to lower the pH to your desired level without lowering the KH.

If this is the case, does it mean that using peat in a planted tank with CO2 injection would result in an over-estimate of the amount of CO2 that is present?

And should this matter be addressed in the newbie forum.

BumBumBee

AC Members
Mar 9, 2003
Thornton, CO
Visit site
My tap water has no kH apparently. The test change colors immediately. The PH is between 8 and 9 ( I know that broad but I don’t remember exactly) The gH is high, I don’t have a number. I have been mixing tap and purified water to change water with. What is the difference between “base” and “alkaline”?

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Your numbers don't make any sense. If you have no KH you shold see low PH numbers, not the very high ones you seem to remember having. You need to retest and may need some new kits (if the ones you have don't gibe with each other).

Is there anything in the tank that might be tampering with your chemistry (substrate, rocks, etc.)

What do you mean by "purified" water? RO, distilled, filtered, spring? These can have very different chemical characteristics…

I think the main difference between base and alkaline is that one is a noun and the other an adjective -- a base is alkaline. Not a chemist (disclaimer).

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store