Chronic Swimbladder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mushroomfish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Hi,

I Have a goldfish with chronic swimbladder and i don't know what to do.

the fish was sold to me as a pearlscale but it is obviously not, it looks like a regular fantail. he loses control of his boyency (floats unless he is disturbed) around 1 or 2 in the afternoon and cannot regain full control until well into the night (about 4am). this happens daily. it occurred to me that it must be his food so to combat the problem, i cut up all the pellets, soak them until they sink and then squeeze them to remove any air still trapped inside. still, the problem persists. i have also made special gelfood that contain only peas and sardines. still, the problem persists. The fantail floats less on days that i do not feed him.

My levels are all in what is said to be the ideal range. i have three other goldfish in the tank who share the same water and diet and they have never had even a slight case of swimbladder disease.

does anybody know what the problem could be? if he IS just prone to swimbladder disease, is there anything i can do for him?

Thanks

fantail

AC Members
Sep 22, 2004
scotland
Test your water for nitrates as high amounts can cause bladder problems. I agree too that you should starve him then feed boiled frozen peas to see if that helps. If none of those work then his bladder may be either damaged or has a bacterial infection.

mushroomfish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
i have tried both the starving and the feeding of peas.

This problem has been on-going for about a month and a half.
How would i know if it is a bacterial infection or damage to the swimbladder?
Could this be fatal?

mushroomfish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
i have never starved them for more than 2 days. Coincidentaly, i am leaving tomorrow for a camping trip for 4 days so i think i'll try it then .

mushroomfish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
My tank has an annoying 5-day cycle in order to keep everything in check.

here are my parameters:

At the beginning of the 5-day cycle:

Ammonia - 0 mg/l
Nitrite - <0.3 mg/l
Nitrate - 10 mg/l
GH - 8
KH - 5
PH - 8
CO2 - 1.6

At the end of the 5-day cycle:

Ammonia - 0 mg/l
Nitrite - <0.3 mg/l
Nitrate - 30 mg/l
GH - 9
KH - 5
PH - 8
CO2 - 1.6

fantail

AC Members
Sep 22, 2004
scotland
I dont understand what you mean by a 5 day cycle. Either your tank is cycled or its not.

A cycled tank shows 0 for ammonia and nitrite. Does yours always show nitrites? If so how long has it been running, how many gallons, how often do you do water changes and how much, whats the filtration and how do you clean it out and how often?

Any other fish in the tank and if so what kind and how big?

Any chhance of posting a pic of the sick fish?

mushroomfish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
By cycle i mean the frequency of water changes. instead of seven days, i change the water every 5 days. this is to keep my nitrates below 40.

(day-1 nitrates are at their lowest and day-5 at their highest.)

the lowest point on the water tester that i use for nitrites is <0.3 mg/l
and yes, this is what it always shows.

from what i understand, these perameters are very close to ideal. am i mistaken?

i would like to post a picture of my tank with all my fish. can anyone tell me how??

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
your nitrates are a bit high. I personally strive for 10 ppm or less. Also, nitrites should be at ZERO in order for your tank to be completely cycled. It's odd that your test kit only has <0.3, and no zero marker. You're not using a strip/dip test are you? If so, those are notorious for being inaccurate and hard to read. I would recommend a liquid test kit.

"Cycled" means that it is mature and has a functioning biological filter (made of a population of beneficial nitrifying bacteria).

I have had fish develop swimbladder disorders due to high nitrates, as fantail said. Nitrates in an of themselves will not cause swimbladder infections. But they are an indication of water quality. If you have high nitrates, then you also have lots of nutrients (from waste products) for disease bacteria to feed off of.

Ever since 2 of my fish got sick, though, I have learned to be meticulous about water changes.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
To post pics, you can use the Attach Files option that is underneath the window where you type responses. This will give people a link to click on in order to view the picture. To post a pic in the response (immediately viewable), you have to upload it to an online place such as www.ImageShack.us. Then you cut and paste the http address for the picture into your post and it shows up!

good luck with that, and your fish :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store