Just starting off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ross_328

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
hi there just looking ofr some help i am completely new to the world of fish but am interested in them and i dont know where to start so any help would be grateful as to what tank you could recommend? what parts you need to complete the setup? how often you need to cycle the tank? and wether you need to tank to put the fish so one can be cleaned? any help would be grateful thank you ross

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
Are you interested in cichlids in particular, or fish in general. I've heard that cichlids are a more difficult group to start with because of their particular water preferences and territorial behavior. I've never kept them before, but they are beautiful.

If you are just generally interested in fish, you might do better to post in the Freshwater newbie section.

What size of tank do you have? Or are you just doing research?

Ross_328

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
No i was paticularly interested in the cichlids but if this is not recommended then i will change my mind. Also i dont have a tank i am just doing research thanks ross

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Ok... Big is always better; more water is more forgiving of mistakes. Of course bigger = more money and that is also a factor. A 55g is a good size for most needs, 70g even better. That gives you lots of flexibility in fish. If you're not sure about the hobby, then start with a 30g (30") or a 40g (36") which will be less expensive.

If you're interested in cichlids, you want something hardy and easy to deal with that doesn't get too big for the tank. Here's where the tank size is going to dictate your choices. Additionally, you have to decide if you're willing to deal with aggressive fish (where you may get injuries, stress illnesses, or deaths). Next you have to consider (realistically) how much time and energy you want to invest in the fish. Some fish take a lit of effort (Discus for example). You also need to decide if you want breeding to occur (you have to find a place for the small ones, and this may lead to some aggression).

I don't know anything about African cichlids, but they are a good choice for color and appeal, and others can help you.

Good choices in New-World cichlids: Angels of course, keyholes, festivum, convicts are a no-brainer; they stay small, are hardy, and will breed easily (assuming you want that). Firemouth get a little larger, but not huge. Rainbow (multispinosa) are a small, calm cichlid. There are a little more rare possibilities: sajica, honduran red points. Mind, you cannot just throw all these together!

With a bigger tank (staying with calm fish), you can get into severum, nicaraguense. If you'll tolerate some aggression, you can look at dempsey, green terror.

Mineyman13

AC Members
Sep 1, 2006
Minnesota
What about guppies? They are Small, Pretty And are active... I'd rate them easy they breed about once a month and sleep during the night!!! A Pleco would be a great tank mate for it they eat alged and just sit under structures. But make sure if you get a PLeco Have a lid because he might jump out!

Ross_328

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Thanks for the help really appreciated how much difference is there in cost between a 55g and say a 70g total setup excluding fish also i would like some aggression are oscars hard to look after and what other fish could these be put with thanks ross

elwell

Registered Member
Jun 17, 2006
oscars require very good filtration as they are a messy fish anything big and not too aggressive but able to hold its own will be fine eg. jack dempsey cichlid/s green terror/gold saum or even larger convicts, i started with a 20gall with a community setup with kribs,tetras,rasbora's an oscar is fine in a 75gall,2 would need a 100gall eventually

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome Ross!

As long as you are interested in cichlids and seem to be getting some input, we will leave this thread here vice the Freshwater Newbie Forum. Glad to hear that you are researching first; I wish more people did!

To add my 2 cents....

I recommend a 29 gal tank to start with. It has reasonable volume for greater stability in water quality than smaller tanks, allowing some forgiveness with potential mistakes many newbies make. It would allow you to have a couple of the small cichlids you are interested in or a nice grouping of other fish to get experience on. And for the inevitable upgrade to your next tank, you would have an ideal hospital tank or one for raising fry.

Items that you will need and get advice on..

test kit for checking water parameters
filter, two or more, over filtrate is best
heater
substrate
cover/lighting
decor-rocks, plants (live/fake), driftwood
thermometer
dechlorinator, for chlorine and chloramine
gravel vacuuming tube/siphon for water changes
buckets, not used for any other purpose or python
various food
tank stand designed for an aquarium, not furniture

Yes you will have to do a cycle to prepare this tank. Do not get caught in the trap of let the water age a few days and it will be okay. Or just add this chemical and you can toss the fish in (bio spira exception). Actuall your tank is always cycling, but at an equilibrium level, if maintained correctly. The "cycle" you hear about most is the one thay establishes the bacteria colonies that maintain your tank.

When you do your weekly water changes and tank cleaning, the fish can remain in the tank.

Just ask if you have more questions.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Ross_328 said:
Thanks for the help really appreciated how much difference is there in cost between a 55g and say a 70g total setup excluding fish also i would like some aggression are oscars hard to look after and what other fish could these be put with thanks ross
Rbishop gave you some good reasons to start with a smaller tank, but to answer your question, you can usually find people selling tanks all the time, and 55g tanks are quite common. 70g, otoh, are a little harder to find second hand. Best advice is to shop around your area and see what the prices are like. I have a place near me that sells tanks very cheaply; I think I paid around $125-130 plus tax for a new 70g tank. A good price in most areas would be $150-160 plus tax. For sure you're going to see places trying to sell them for $200-300. If you're handy with tools, build your own stand; commercial stands are WAY overpriced!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sorry Ross....guess I was looking just at the multitude of questions in the OP; missed the other question down further.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store