modifying an Odyssea filter for better performance?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I recently acquired an odyssea 45G bowfront setup (an all-in-one combo like a nanocube). It was a display model so it didnt have any instructions, but it seems as though the filter is somewhat lacking. The tank actually was missing all the filter parts but the manager ordered them all in for me no extra charge. Basicaly it is a large powerhead suspended from the back corner which has two choices for output, either a spray bar that goes over both compartments or just a single output to the first chamber. The chambers or only a couple inches deep and a single filter pad at the bottom. Here are a couple pictures (click for bigger ones):

I was thinking of maybe filling the compartments up with bio balls or some other media... but that would be ahead of the filter pad and they might really collect alot of crap and wouldnt be to easy to take out and clean unless I made up some kinda basket to hold and remove them by. Anyone have any DIY suggestions here? I do plan on planting the tank but I dont think it will be heavily planted enough that I dont need to wory about bio-filtration. Any suggestions appreciated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store