30g Cube (cycling) Decor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Woot! Finally got my 30g Cube / Penguin 300 / 200w heater.

This is going to be a Low end brackish 1.005 - 1.008 and will
be the home to:
1 Figure 8 Puffer
6-8 BumbleBee Gobies

I am getting about 20lbs of sand and am going to mix in 15lbs of
crushed coral for the substrate.

About the Decor...
I dont like fake stuff. (all natural)
I plan to try out some Java Fern and "Banana Plants"
I cant see that a Mangrove would work in this tank.
I plan to use lots of "dead" sea rock. (not dead corals)
I know BB gobies love lots of hiding places and little homes that they will guard.

Anyone have any ideas on "natural" decor? I need allot of stuff in there because puffers can get bored, and the gobies need the teritory.. however allot of plants will not live well in brackish water. I'm not sure driftwood is an option either, I need a higher PH.

thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Ok so far have 10lbs of dead "live rock" or base rock, looks awsome i am going to add 20 more lbs this weekend. Also there are some big snail shells and conch shells in there for the gobies to swim in. Anyone have any other natural ideas?

I will be trying Banana plants, Java Fern, Spiral Vals, and watercrest (i think)

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Well, all I ever use is rocks and driftwood. Not sure what other decor would be natural. I suppose you saw my thread about my new brackish tank? I have had a brackish tank for a while but the new one will be alot different. I decided to use aragonite sand wich I think is basically crushed coral? I have one large driftwod in the middle and another smaller piece on top of that making all sorts of little caves and passage ways. I have had best look so far growing Java Fern and Jungle val so those will be the mainstay of the new tank planting, also going to try a crinkle onion and a couple bannana plants. I put several pieces of 'rift rock' in the tank positioned so my BB Gobies will have many hidding paces under the rocks on the sand. Its just getting setup right now. BTW there isnt nearly as much traffic on the brackish forum as the other ones, you often wont get a response same-day or at all. Also try aquariumboard.com.

Good luck with the brackish tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store