Suggestions for new 20G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CalypsoGirl

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
I'm starting a new 20G (20x10x24tall) with an 18" 15 watt bulb in the hood. I want it to eventually be heavily planted with driftwood and moss and the works. I'm looking for suggestions on what plants would do well and look good in this kind of setup. I don't know much about C02, so for now I'd like to stick with plants that don't need it. I also want something that will get really tall so that I can make use of the full 24" depth. I really like the looks of hairgrass and moss...so If anyone has opinions or suggestions for those, that'd be great. Also, the tank has a mirrored back...should I try to cover that up or will it help make the tank larger? I'm open to whatever suggestions or opinions you guys have:)

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
The problem with that is that 15w in a 20 gallon is very little light, and with the extra deep it will get very very little light at the bottom. What you might do is get some driftwood and put some java moss/java fern, anubias at the top of the wood closer to the light. Also hornwart will work, as it floats near the top and requires little light.

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
well you can retrofit one, but I found the cost to be about the same as just buying a new light. I have 65w over my 20 gallon. You could more cheeply buy a double strip light which would give you 30w, which would allow you to grow a few low-light plants on the bottom.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Check the back of the hood and see what wattage it is rated for...usually they aren't rated for more than 15 to 20 watts for a typical fluorescent single tube hood. My two 20s are staying unplanted until I can afford to buy new fixtures for them, unfortunately it's not cheap to do.

hamsterman

AC Members
Nov 8, 2005
Rhode Island
you could just buy strip lights which I currently am doing on ebay for a very cheap price. I had faced the same problem and am trying to increase my wpg. The strip lights are for normal fourescent lights but work for aquarium flourescents as well as I am informed by the seller.

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
I'd go for the 2x36 as it will give you more planting options--but then I like planted tanks a lot. If you do go with the higher light, then you might want a finer substrate so plants can root in it. There are a number of plants that are easy to grow that don't need a nutrient rich substrate to thrive. Stem plants get most of their nutrients from the water column, and you can just add a bottled fert once or twice a week.

fanch313

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
upstate ny
I retrofitted my 10g with a bright kit from AH...its working really well. The only problem I've had is the bulbs overheating due to the lack of ventilation. The kit comes with vents that you can drill into you hood...the bit to do that is at least $12 at Home Depot (which my husband had no problem buying!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store