Rose Anemone Pictures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
Here are some pics of the Rose Anemone I recently purchased. Very nice. Hope you enjoy.

That's it for now. If you want to see more, just say so.

fastbackgly

Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
It took the clowns about 2 hours. They immediately loved the thing. I was way surprised. I think they were in need of something to host.

The tips are a fluorescent pink and violet, but under just the blue actinic, the bioilluminescence is very bright pink on the tips with bright green just below that, but it won't show up in the digital images. It's pretty amazing coloring.

Last edited:

Swiftwind

♡ Neptune ♡
Jul 25, 2006
Australia
That's amazing! What a fantastic colour that pink is! :) Nice clown fish too.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Umh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, it is REALLY,REALLY bleached. It looks like it's totally expelled it's zoolanthe and you're going to have a fight on your hands to keep it alive. The symbiotic algae produce a lot of their food and help with waste removal. You're going to have to put in anem ICU if you want to keep it alive.
Target feed with zoo and phyto if it will take solid foods give it choped raw shrimp or fish on a really regular basis and hope it colors back up. I'd say it was either kept under the wrong lights or sat in the dark for too long etc.
I hope this helps and please keep us informed.
Chris

fastbackgly

Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
You're right, that's why I bought it. It's quite healthy for it's condition and it's eating solids and I've been target feeding it. It was kept in a tank with almost no lighting. It's doing well in my tank though.

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hybrid anem ? lol, umh rbt rose bubble tip and bta, bubble tip anems are just differnt color morphs of the same species ,"local variation". Just like most of the deeper water ones tend to be solitary and the shallow water ones tend to to be colonial critters.
He may well have aquacultered these but, they should still have zoolanthe as both of their parents do. As far as I know every other member of their immediate family also has zoolanthe.
I hope the proceeding paragraph is incorrect and you lfs guy is correct but, I don't think so. You can keep it quite happy with regular feedings as you're doing and hope that it colors up again ,"it probably won't ime."
Anyway not trying to argue with you or anything like that.
good luck and keep us posted.
** edit** how long have you been dealing with this store? I've seen a lot of bleached anems being sold as something special. Again I hope that's not the case here but, you need to know as your husbandry will have to be different.
You will have to keep your water absolutly pristine. Also it has no way to produce foods from organic material in the water and, as I allued to earlier the symbiotic algae help it recycle nutrients ,"remove waste products," from it's body.

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hey, didn't your earlier post say something about this being a hybrid aquacultured by the lfs? It will have some pretty serious issues and most bleached anems don't make it .
I'm not trying to flame you or anything but, it's a really bad idea to reward a fish store for not keeping their critters in a good environment. All it does is encourage them to keep on with their bad behavior. Again, I'm not saying that you can't keep it alive ," but the odds are against it."
Some LFS only care about the bottom line and don't seem to realise that we all talk to each other . We have a lfs who will remain nameless that will as a regular occurance try to foist sick inverts on unsuspecting hobbiest. I've been ran out of their store on a couple of occasions by costing them $ by informing their prospective customers what they were buying and what it's chance of survial was.

fastbackgly

Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
I meant to say, that's what the LFS stated. That it was a hybrid. I deleted it because I didn't see any point in bashing the place. I know what a Rose Anemone looks like, and I knew they were lying about the "specialty" anemone. I don't see this anemone taking a dive, that's why I purchased it. It is in pretty good shape for its condition. It's been very mobile and responsive to feedings.

[edit] And thanks for responding. I was waiting for a repsonse like that. Most people on this forum don't know what they're talking about and cannot recognize problems. Hopefully this post will help.

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I hope so man and I hope it does well for you. The reason it's moving is that it's trying to find a place that makes it happy. I sort of specailse in anems so I just had to say something to help you. I hope that it colors back up to . The zoolanthe does a whole lot more for the anem than just producing food . It also helps it remove waste from it's cells .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store