new for Big tank, oscar, loaches, pleco, blue dolpin, texas cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

respectome

oscar first
Sep 4, 2006
Jax,FL area
Hi,
I just about a month ago moved my 8" Oscar and 2-7" plecos to a 115gal tank from a 30gal. I bought a salt water tank that came with everything but fish. I cleaned all with plain tap water and let it fully dry. For two weeks all went well until the clown loaches but first...have wet/ dry, I have a skimmer but found that for fresh water does not work well. I did read online that decrease outlet of skimmer and now I do get foam sometimes, I only run the skimmer once a week. I do now add aquarium salt and this helps the skimmer. I also have a UV that I read can work well with freshwater tanks as well so I leave it on all the time. I also have blue black lights 4x and one marine blue light. I have always had a blue black light with my Oscar since 1/2 inch so don't see any harm from the black lights. I now have a timer for my lights which set for only two hours, same money and less stress on the fish?
Yes, up late, please bear with me :coffee2:
So with bigger tank I decided to introduce 5 clown loaches, have many hiding places, and four days later they and my Oscar got Ick. (First time for my Oscar, any trouble) SO, I raised the temp to 89F and started salt for the first time, my salinity is about 1.0011. I also have a power head pump in the tank for water circulation and bubbles, higher temp = less O2 so I keep this on all the time and the fish for the most case do not look like they are having problems breathing (I know not the bubbles but surface tensions is helping) . I read that clown loaches can live normal in a salinity of 1.0011 ( one lady said she has them at 1.003) and that Oscars can live normal at 1.005.
OK I am asking so now at day 8 I no longer have Ick and read that by day 10 that I can start bring temp back down (normally 80F) and bring salt level down as well. Is ten days fine and what I want to do is keep my salinity at 1.0011 and if needed for Ick in the future raise to 1.003 just for ten days a course.
I also just bought online a Texas cichlid and two blue dolphins. All the time I spent online :rant2: I found these two fish do well also Jack Dempsey with Oscars. I will this time first put them in my 30gal time and then move them to my 115gal tank when I feel it is safe/ no ick. What is safe? My chemistry has always been pH 7.6 (high from tap water but Oscar likes), hardness 250, alkalinity 180, Nitrate 0-20ppm, nitrite 0ppm, ammonia 0-0.25(normally 0). I normally do water changes 25% weekly but if not able I think running the skimmer one full day helps?

Well I think I wrote enough for now, thank you for read this long and bad grammar story, Please any input.

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Ok, first off, your tank is WAY over stocked. 2 common plecos,1 oscar, and 5 clown loaches...in a 115G. And you're going to add 1 texas and 2 blue dolphins? No can do!

Next, salt. Ok, you have ICH and you're treating it. But the salt part really made very little sense. Why are you measuring salinity, these are all freshwater fish. Salt is a medication, not an additive.

As for temp, 89 seems excessive even when treating ICH. 86 more than does the job, why risk going higher....

(Please try and post when you are well rest and coherent:D)

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
You really dont need a protein skimmer on a freshwater tank, it doesnt work really at all as you've found out. The UV sterylizer could also be seen as uneccessary.

Seems like the loaches introduced the ick, but you've seemingly treated it correctly so it should be OK to brink the temp down. I dont know why you measured the salinity, the salt is used as a medication, not to make the water brakish. You should be OK to stop adding salt now too if you noticed the ick is gone.

IMO the oscar, plecos and loaches would be OK in the 115, and maybe the texas, but I would skip the dolphins. Besides the fact that with all the fish + the texas it would be full, the dolphins are also african cichlids which prefer different water conditions.

respectome

oscar first
Sep 4, 2006
Jax,FL area
update

thanks for the replies,
I use the salinity meter so that when I do water chages about 25% I do not have to guess on How much salt to add. I know in this case for ick with me doing about 1 tablespoon/gal a course if I take out about 25% that is 37.5 gals and then add 37.5 spoon but after three changes all that guessing adds up and who knows how much salt you have in your tank. I know some people say well it they are fresh water fish so they don't need NaCl except the small amount it already has but from what I have read on the net and some other peoplt that most do add some salt, most say 1 tablespoon/ 5 gals and that clown loaches do fine with some salt because their is no such thing as scaleless fish. If I do decide to keep some salt in my tank then I can use this meter to be consistent.

I do agree that I am close to my max with weekly changes although a local fish store owner, an old guy with lots of experience with tropical fish, said I could add more with no problems. I do plan on removing one pleco and only keeping three loaches, one ocsar, one texas, one dolphin. With that said I will have to see how that works with my Oscar being the most important.

I decided on the dolphin because there are people out there three that I read that have an oscar and dolphin together. The water chemistry I have know is actually more ideal for the dolphin then the oscar, the oscar has been in this type of water for a year with no problems. If I would how known what the water chemistry was when I first got my oscar I may have made it worst by tring to change my tap water??

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I answered your question on salt in another thread http://aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=649338&posted=1#post649338 , but wanted to add something here regarding your last post. First, if you are at 1 tsp/gal, and you take out 5 gallons for example, just add back 5 tsp. I answered your question in brief in the other post, but I think the information there posted by bigscout is spot on.
Second, I am not sure if the hydrometer works the same with NaCl as it does with the complex marine salts it is intended for.
Third, In regards to adding even more fish(and the old man telling you to) just because a fish is alive does not mean it is "fine" ( a term I have come to hate in this hobby) It may be an extreme analogy, but you could just as easily keep a great dane puppy in a 2 foot squared metal box its entire life. Of course, it would get muscle atrophy, stunted growth, damaged internals, the list goes on. That dog may live 2 years or more that way.....fine? same thing is happening to the fish. Of course, your stocking is not that bad, I tend to use that analogy more strongly if we were still dealing with your old 30 gal ;)

Last edited:
Salt

1 tablespoon salt/gallon of water is way overdoing it. 1 tablespoon/5 gallons is more reasonable if you need to medicate fish, especially salt sensitive species like plecos. It's best to not use any salt whatsoever, except as medication as previously mentioned.

respectome

oscar first
Sep 4, 2006
Jax,FL area
Thanks,

I have decided not to add salt except for Ick and I decided to not get the Texas cichlid. I already ordered the blue dolphins but for right now they will stay in the 30gal tank. I may in the future move one in the bigger tank but I will remove one pleco and two clowns.

Oh the salinity meter I bought can be used for small amounts of aquarium salt per its instructions? PINPOINT salinity Monitor. Yes a lot of money now just for Ick treatment..... Oh well...Oscar first

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store