lionfish.....fin rot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shockwavexk

Registered Member
Sep 8, 2006
Have anyone came across a lionfish with fin deterioration? what cure works? i have a 4 inch Volitan lionfish (reddish oranges color) in my main tank for like a year now. I got a new yellow one about 3 weeks ago. He is about 5 inch or so. I FW dip (6 min.) it before putting it in the QT. Was very healthy looking and eating well from the start. No sign of injury or illness. Until two days ago I notice one of his fin is almost falling out. Don’t look like a physical injury like from netting. Looks like some kind of bacterial infection. Like the bone structure (don’t know if this is what it's call) that hold the fin is deteriorating (sinking and weakling) at the point where it’s about to break off. i'll try to get a picture

shockwavexk

Registered Member
Sep 8, 2006
Water quality is not bad...nitrate and ammonia is zero….nitrate is at 10….been changing 3 gal of water each weeks. QT is a 12 gal . eclipse.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Welcome to Aquaria Central! That sounds kinda odd about the lion! So he is in the QT tank or is he in the main tank? Whatever you decide to treat with, just be careful as Lions are often not very hardy in terms of meds. I would like to see a pic before recommending anything. Anyway hope he gets better! Welcome to Aquaria Central!

JayBeDriften

AC Members
Aug 31, 2006
Shockwavexk, I have had various lions in the past before and I have seen this sickness before. Have you ever treated your tank with copper to fight an infection a marine ich or some other nasty? People have used copper to do this and see that it helps the lionfish only to find out that in a couple of months the copper has entered their system and causes complete deterioration of the epidermis. Also are you using RO/DI water because tap water also contributes to this sickness. I'm sorry to say that I haven't found a medication that will cure this. Just keep doing water changes and hopefully it does not progress to the point of him dieing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store