How can I tell if a sponge is aquarium safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I have a sponge here, this one specifically:

Now, the package says nothing about being non-aquarium safe. I have another pack of sponges that specifically says "NOT SAFE FOR AQUARIUMS". I really have no way of getting to the store to buy aquarium safe sponges...

Should I not use these sponges to clean my tank?

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
an expired credit card works great for scraping algae off the glass

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
I use one of the single sided razor blades to scrape off the hard water and salt deposits. Never thought about trying to use it on algae. Well... never thought about using a CC for it either. lol I know they work for a frosty car window though. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Any sponge that does not specify it is safe most likely will not be good to use. Any sponges that contain any sort of detergent, or lists something about preventing mildew is not safe, and potentially lethal.

Just my 2 cents, but my tanks are not worth risking on a sponge. Spend the money to get ones you KNOW are safe. For me, a cost of $10/sponge would be better tahn killing 5 $10 fish, and you can get safe sponges from any LFS much cheaper.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
I concur with Oriongirl....most sponges have anti-mildewants impregnated into the sponge material during formation, and most do not state so anywhere on the packaging...in fact, often only the guys on the manufacture floor can tell you for sure. Too much to risk. If you must know, put it in a bucket of water for a couple of hours, then add some feeder guppies, and see how many are alive come morning, but it is a waste of good guppies.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I agree, I would never use anything for the inside of an aquarium that was specifically specified for it. That's one thing I wouldn't risk, even papertowels in my experience have something in them not safe. I don't know if all of them do but just that one was cause enough for my concern.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store