Crazy Clownfish Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

da1jewfish

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
The tank at my job is about 130 gallom reef tank. The tank has many fish including a mating pair of percula clowns that laid offspring about a week ago. We are seeing many eyes now.
I want to raise these, but cannot do the whole rotifer or green water deal.
It seems like too much time and too many tanks.
Would it be possible to use "First Bites" by hikari or some other type of easy access food?? Or anyother solutions to let these eyes see some light?
Thank all

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Hikari fist bites is meant for freshwater livebearer fry - and it's too large for anything but the livebearers.

Unless you've been culturing ohytoplankton and the rotifers before hand, I see no hope for these fry, maybe one or two will make it in the tank if this is a LONG established tank, but most will surely die.

Sorry bout' the bad news.

JayBeDriften

AC Members
Aug 31, 2006
Da1jewfish, why don't you see if your local pet store would be interested in taking the fry off your hands and raising them to sell. Normally Clowns cost local pet stores alot of money just to stock the little guys you normally by for 18 bucks or so. It would be a shame to just let the fry die.

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
If you do not have sponges over all your intakes, they will simply be filtered out of the tank. That and they will be a very good meal for the inhabitants. They spend a lot of time in the water column before they are large enough to survive.

da1jewfish

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Thanks all for the info

great info... well I'm at about day 10 and there are less eggs (not sure if they hatched or eaten), but there are still some left.
I have a feeling that they might be a little undernourished. I am going to see what can be done for the next clucth of eggs. good idea driftenjay, but how could I move them anywhere w/o killin them? should I bring the male where ever they go?
Any idea how long after these eggs are gone to expect another?
Bobby

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Let dad stay in the tank. Get a couple of ceramic tiles and put them on the walls of their cave or put a couple of flower pots in there and hope it lays in one of your locations. I'm if you can make it more private than their cave that's the site they will often times select if that doesn't work chase them out of the cave and plug the intrance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store