Caulerpa

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
I just bought this really nice piece of live rock from Inland Aquatics and it has a little bit of caulerpa growing on it. Just what needs to be done to so it grows? As of right now I only have a clown in my tank along with about 2 doz. hermits and a few snails. Will the hermits or snails damage it? I do have one of my power heads set up to heavily aerate it. So far its still its rich green color. My lighting is a Coralife 50/50 bulb, will that be enough?

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
sorry to say, but you're going to need more lighting then that to grow macroalgae.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
So this caulerpa will die off unless I upgrade my lighting? Just what type of lighting will be needed?

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
well, it would certainly need a VHO or PC fixture. depending upon the depth of the tank and where you place the rock in the tank. unless you're going to keep corals, i don't really worth it to do the lighting upgrade. especially for one piece of culerpa.

Elmo

AC Members
Dec 8, 2001
London, Ontario
You should get some growth. I have some growing(albeit slowly) in my tank under only 25W of light. Just don't expect a whole lot of fast growth.

Last edited:

JustPhish

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
www.justphish.com
The caulerpa will grow just fine as long as it's lit and has nutrients it needs to grow. Unless something is eating it of course.

I have a 180 that is not set up yet with my lighting so for the time being I have 4 NO 40w bulbs over it and the caulerpa more than 24 inches down from the bulbs is growing.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
The caulerpa is growing at the top of my rock about 6 inches from the lighting I'd say. My tank is a 75gal. about 16 inches deep. So will this help the growth?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store