Green tiger barb thin behind the gills

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xiaosong

AC Members
May 12, 2006
I have a 55 gallon aquarium with tiger barbs, giant danios, otos and juvenile firemouths.

It is planted and has specs of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less then 10 nitrate and a ph of 7.1.

Recently, I have been having some trouble with my green tiger barbs (I have 4), which are the smallest of the lot. Two of them have had what appears to be some sort of worm coming out of them (it's sort of a white stalk with a thicker bulb at the end that comes out from the anus while another one had a red version that had similiar characteristics). One of the tiger barbs has been hanging out under the filter return, not under the flow, but between the water return part and the glass near the water surface. Two of the green tiger barbs (might be the same one with the worms, are also breathing rapidly) Upon closer inspection, it looks like he is getting thin behind the gills. If you look at him head on, there is a symmetrical dip between the gills and the rest of the body.

I just noticed it today and have been treating for parasites with jungle parasite clear since friday night after I noticed the worm like thing hanging from the green tiger barbs.

My giant danios, firemouths, otos and the normal and albino tiger barbs are all behaving normally, if a little bit rowdy.

Anyone know if some sort of parasite could give this tiger barb these types of symptoms? basically: thin behind the gills, hiding in a corner behind the water return, breathing rapidly?

Thanks

xiaosong

AC Members
May 12, 2006
Close this please.

Whoops, I was looking for this post earlier and didn't find it so I thought it never went through in the first place so I posted again.

Can one of the moderators close this one please? Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store