Outdoor pond plant that can survive the winter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thadius65

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
Well, if you consider PA as Northern, then here is what survives my winters:

Anacharis
Arrow Head
Iris
Lillies

Anacharis just remaines where it is in the water. I cut all the others back to just below water level. Lillies are cut to the basket. My pond is only 20" deep and all plants and fish survive with no issues. I use a 100W circular heater that keeps noxious gases from building up.

Hope that helps.

Ted

Tesla_HV

AC Members
Jul 7, 2006
I am in northern Massachusetts and will have to get a circulator heater. I had both water hyacinths and hardy lilies this year. The hyacinths were all yellow and dying so I took them out this past weekend with the exception of one. The lillies were turning yellow as well so I took them out, cut them to the bulb, repotted them, and returned them to the bottom of the pond. I didn't want to deprive the fish of all cover so hence my original question. I will have to look and see if any of the local shops still carry anacharis.
Thanks,
-- Monty --

thadius65

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
Hyacinths are tropical and our water is getting to cold for them. I usually get two Hyacinths and two Water Lettuce and they both grow crazy. Soon as things start to cool off, I pull them all out as they will rot and cause issues.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
Pickerel plant is hardy. Marsilea ( 4-leaf water clover ) as well. Water Snowflake. Those big sagitaria with arrow-shaped leaves.

Desertponder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2006
Western Colorado
Some hardy marginals/bog plants that will work for you are......Dwarf cattails, Purple Pickeral, rushes such as Spiked Rush, Triangle Rush, Horsetail Rush; Louisiana Iris and Sweet Flag will survive the winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store