liquid vs powder test kits

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
so when I test my water with a powder kit my nitrates come to about 15, with a liquid they're over 60. What's the deal? Some guy said he theorizes that the liquid kits measure the dissolved nitrogenous gas (?).

rwspear76

American By Birth,Soldier By Choice
Jul 5, 2006
Bushnell Illinois
www.geocities.com
I didn't even know that there were powder kits. Who makes them?

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
Aquarium Systems makes them, but I hear they're going out of production. Someone told me they were more accurate than liquid...

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I've used the powder tests. Not for nitrates, though, but ammonia and iron. They work just the same. I compared results with my trusty liquid test, and it was basically identical. The only difference is that the powder is hard to dissolve, it takes quite a bit more shaking than with liquid reagants. I'd say ease of use is the only real difference.

I'm willing to bet that the liquid reagants are just pre-dissolved powder or crystal solutions, anyway. They've just made it a little more convenient for us :)

rbell219

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
i was told today that the powder NItrate test kits seperates Nitrite from the readings. If there is a little Nitrite, the liquid Nitrate test will show elevated readings. Test for Nitrites next time to see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store