Help! My ADF has a Fungus on her back leg!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WaterBaby

Senior Member with Senior Moments
Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
I have had 2 ADF's in a 5 gallon tank for about 8 months now. Yesterday, I couldn't find one at feeding time, and today I found her with a yellowish fungus covering one of her back feet. She is not moving it very well either. I can't tell if it's broken.

There is no blood, and I don't know if she got it wedged under something and injured it.

What can I use for her? I would like to stay away from salt if possible. I do have Maroxy. Is this safe for ADF's? and at what dosage?

I have moved her tankmate (another ADF) into another (non-populated) tank and plan on using the 5gallon she's in for a hospital tank. I hope it's not too late. I love these guys.... :(

Thank you,

Michele

5 gallon established semi-planted tank
Ammonia, Nitrites 0
pH 7.6
Nitrates 5ppm

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Ok, now that I'm looking at it more closely, it kinda looks like its shedding skin that hasen't come off yet, but she's still not moving it well.

Update- no, I don't think it's shedding skin. I held her in my hand (underwater) and looked at it. Weird ?????

Michele

Last edited:

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Here's a pic

I tried to get a better picture, but my camera takes terrible pictures. Hope you can see it. There's a little blood streak in between her toes (in her web).

BooBoo Leg.jpg Leg 2.jpg

Last edited:

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
OK, I'm embarrased. :eek: .... It was just a shedding. Today it is not there (or most of it is gone). I was concerned because she was not using her fin.

I did some research yesterday and read that sometimes they will not shed all of its skin at one time (a patch may not be loose enough to shed and will remain on the frog).

What a relief!! :thm:

Michele

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
oh, phew. It's obvious you were quite upset by it. Good to know it's normal. It did look alarming from the photo, though, and the blood streak sounded scary.

here's hoping she's OK.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
Well, I was right the first time

They both died. :(
They had some kind of fungus/bacteria that actually ate away at their limbs. I tried Maroxy....didn't work...

Then I tried a combo of Maracyn/Maracyn 2 along with the Maroxy. This seemed to start to work, but I guess it was a little too late. They were both weak I guess from not eating.

There was nothing I did differently in the tank. I'm wondering if there was something in the new pack of frozen bloodworms I opened up.... :confused:

Sterilized the tank, and am re-cycling it. I loved these guys (actually girls). Gotta get more... :)

Michele

NecrochildK

The oddball
Sep 20, 2006
Lafayette, Louisiana
;_; Sorry to hear about your lost dwarfs. I had a dumpy frog that had a similar bacteria that was eating away at his flesh. His skin just started coming off in a thick layer, exposing the muscle tissue. I lost two frogs like that and brought the healthy one back to the petshop rather than risk him catching it too. Last I heard he was still healthy and alive and they found him a new home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store