mystery illness in guppies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I just lost 2 male guppies, I noticed about a week ago that the edges of their caudal fins were turned red, it seemed like maybe a water problem to me but when I test the water my ammonia nitrites and nitrates all test fine and all the other fish were fine... well yesterday I noticed the two males had their caudal fins clamped and were swimming lethargically gasping at the surface... again my parameters are fine, all other fish are fine. They died later in the day.

I had similiar problems with two of my females a week or two ago.

Does it sound parisitic or bacterial? Or something else...

dabaers

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Without water params, its hard to say, but it sounds bacterial at first glance.
One of my gups gets this and I use melafix, as stated on the bottle for 7 days.
but if they are clamping, it may be too late.
Good luck.

Kath

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
Would melafix be okay with baby guppies?

My ammonia and nitrites are 0, my nitrates are always below 20 ppm. I don't think it's a water problem since only certain of the fish display symptoms.

dabaers

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Sometimes some fish are just more susceptible when water params aren't quite right. Yours sound fine as you said. Do you have any fin nippers in the house?
Who is living with these gups?
And yes melafix is absolutely fine with guppy fry, mine are sitting in it right now , normal dose for their tank size. I use it all the time when a fish has a little nip or tuck , or when adding new fish as a preventive to any rough handling it got on its way home.
I've raised several brood of fry now, all did fine when it was needed and they were in the tank.

Kath

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
Will melafix hurt my biological filter?

No fin-nippers, just an otoclinus (?) and a small cory catfish in with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store