false high nitrite readings?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
I have a high reading of Nitrite in my tank for the first time ever. I have never had an issue with this before in my entire 5+ years of fish keeping. It’s just never registered before on the test. My tank currently has a 1.0ppm of Nitrite and has for 2-3 days… however my fish are all perfectly fine and don’t look the least bit stressed. I am concerned though as I know Nitrite is very toxic.

I should tell you that I have had false high readings of ammonia for the last 9 months in my tank. It constantly reads at 8.0ppm, but I know this isn’t possible, I wouldn’t have any fish left if this was the case. I believe is tests positive for the ammonium left after the chloramine bond is broken by water conditioner and is rendered harmless to my fish.

Is this another case of false high readings? Has anyone ever heard of Nitrite false readings?

55gallon – 7.6pH - 80degrees:
2 Silver Dollars
1 Convict
1 Tiger Pleco

10 Gallon:
cycling

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
are you using the drip type tests(with test tubes)

if so how old is the test kit?
I started getting reading that seemed off..turned out the kit was almost a year old.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
my nitrite test kit is a drip kit.. and yes its the oldest of all my testing supplies.

I'll buy a new one next time I go to the store. Hopefully, thats all this is about. Thanks rider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store