Water Hardness Issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
Hey everyone, I was hoping someone could offer some helpful insight on this. I've been messing with aquatic plants and CO2 injection...before starting the CO2 injection finally via pressurized CO2, I tested water parameters (CO2/pH) and found a rather shocking issue.

Right now in the tank...(all measurements done with a AP Liquid Test Kit)
kH/GH both measured 12+ (the color kind of changed after 12 drops)
pH was 8.1

Right out of the tap..I used half hot/half cold like I do when I fill up the aquarium
kH/GH 8
pH was 7.8

while a pH swing of .3 in the tank isn't much of a problem, somehow the kH/GH is rising by 4. Last water change was 50% last Friday. While the fish seem to fine and I'm not aware of any ill side effects, such a fluctuation doesn't seem normal and might indicate something else wrong...

Substrate is 50% eco-complete/50% standard black PetSmart aquarium gravel...water is passed through the Eheim 2213 filter, just the Ehifimech, Ehifisubstrat, and filter padding...nothing special. I'm not too sure whether this kH/gH fluctuation is something that I should be concerned about, or if anyone had any advice on what to look to see if somethings causing it.

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
It's the standard black PetSmart brand. I broke open a piece once before and it looked more like colored quartz than calcium carbonate, but I'm not too sure what they make that stuff out of. It's just kind of a dull, standard black...not like the shiny Estes gravel. I was kind of hoping PetSmart wasn't stupid enough to make their generic gravel out of calcium carbonate - I always thought it was quartz, but maybe someone else can offer some insight.

EDIT: Looking at the gravel, compared to the new stuff, it seems to be becoming more white and less dark black...I think the gravel might be the culprit...oh dear :eek:

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store