Why my male gouramis do not like his female companion?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

longhorn

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Bay area
Visit site
I had a male dwarf neon gouramis in a 5g tank. I tried to add a femle dwarf gouramis to the tank to keep his company. However, instead happy about it, the male start to chase and pick on the female all over the tank. The female end up staying at a corner of the tank behind the heater all day long. I eventually remove the female and put her in a seperate tank. Why they are not getting along? How do you breed these guys?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
That tank is too small for her to escape. Interested male anabantoids will kill uninterested females which cannot escape, so, if you wish to breed them in that small of a tank, separate them, let her get some eggs growing in her, and then put them together, but watch diligently.

karfixer

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
So. Cal
Visit site
Gouramis can be feisty fish, and one on one can lead to bad things. I'd keep your male in solitary in a 5 gallon tank, if you go to a 20 gallon then add 2-3 females and give them plenty of plants and driftwood to hang out in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store