goldfish breeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
im not sure, but 2 of my goldfish are being chased around by another. my mum asked me if they could be breeding, but i really had no idea. i checked all my mags and books, but i cojuldnt get an accurate account of the breeding proces (or any account for that matter). they seemed to focus on the looking after of the fry and the conditions required for breeding. could anyone tell me if they are breeding, or what the breeding process involves? as a precaution if they are breeding (which i am rather hoping they are), i am gathering all the buckets i can for the eggs. when the fry hatch, i'll probablt keep them in to grow on for a while, before transferring to my newly converted pond...lucky i did that convertion i guess.

thanks in advance for any info you can provide. i'll let you know if eggs appear!

sean mckinney

AC Members
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
that is the way they behave, the females chased may have fat bellies and the male chaser may have white spots on his gill covers, the fry are tiny 1/4" x 1/32" or less.
Good luck.

sean mckinney

AC Members
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
I doubt you will see eggs, I never did and mine breed 3 times last year, You can get or make things they they like for egg laying but I haven't bothered. You will get over populated quickly if all the fry survive. I reckon I saved 1 in 10 from the the latter 2 hatchings that I caught, maybe 1 in 20, and I still have 50 +. I probably dumped 90++% of the first because Ididnt know they were there.
Losses are natural so dont get to upset about them, I culled one about a month ago so its still going on.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
i know, amd if they do breed then i have no intention of raising many, mayube a dozen or so. i'll pick out the best, as i dont really have the space to grow on any more at the moment. thanks again.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
And we could start another euthanasia thread for what should happen to the culls, but you have a big fish or two or know someone who does, right? :) (Not wanting to open that can of worms again!!!)

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
(here we go again...)

no, i'm either just gonna destroy large numbers of the eggs, let the parents it a load of them, and those that i grow on i'll hit with a hammer whne i want to cut down numbers. but no signs of breeding so far....

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Sorry about that...just a little too tempting to resist writing that, but I wanted to let you know that, unless you think that it's cruel (in which case, I will respect your opinion), you could sell them to the LFS as feeders, or to a friend's large fish. People in the States make a pretty penny with the former, or make a pretty fish with the latter.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
lol. well, i know it seems a waste to just kill them, and sometimes it is hard to make a decision like that, but its the way i view things. i wouldnt deliberately feed a live fish to another fish, but dont mind if they ocasionally 'slip' into the mouths of other fish in the same tank or pond where they were born....

but i do see both viewpoints, and unfortunately i dont know anyone with large fish, and my LFS would not take them in...their like that....same viewpoint as me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store