Angelfish eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angeleggs

Registered Member
Sep 16, 2006
My angelfish laid eggs on my water filter, the funny thing is there is only one angelfish in my tank, what is going on?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
It seems you have a female. They sometimes will lay eggs without a mate. They obviously will not be firtilized, and will either be eaten or just go bad. This is asuming you don't have other egg laying fish, or even snails that laid the eggs.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
what is it with angels preferring to lay their eggs on filter tubes? This is like the third time I've seen this. Weird.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
i think you can just scrape them off into your tank, and your other fish will love 'em! either that, or you can just remove the filter tube and scrape the eggs off while you clean the tube. It'd be a good opportunity to do some filter maintenance :)

angeleggs

Registered Member
Sep 16, 2006
if i buy another angelfish tomorrow will it be to late to keep them, i have 2 rainbow fish, a hatchet, chinese alge eater and a corgume(can't spell it) it looks like a cat fish, is there anyway they gan furtilze the egs?

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
no, I don't think the eggs can be fertilized if they're more than a few minutes old. Besides, the new angel will be too stressed to spawn on them immediately after you introduce him. Don't know how angelfish reproduction works, but some fish actually need to fertilize the eggs in the mom's body. Others have the male release his sperm over the eggs right after mom's laid them. But I'm almost certain that by now the eggs are dead. Just get rid of this batch. She'll produce another one, if she likes the new boy ;)

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
If angels are like other cichlids I have worked with, they do fertilize after the eggs are lain. From what little I know of angels, I understand they are next to impossible to sex while alive, unless you witness spawning. Someone may coorrect me there though. I think the way to do it is to get a few, wait till you get a spawn, then remove all the ones that did not pair up. However, I didnt get a tank size so I dont know if this is feasable. Also, hatchets do better in schools, but this will depend on your tank size if you should do it or not.

meyerhaus

Big Papa
Sep 16, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
sumthin fishy said:
From what little I know of angels, I understand they are next to impossible to sex while alive, unless you witness spawning. Someone may coorrect me there though. I think the way to do it is to get a few, wait till you get a spawn, then remove all the ones that did not pair up.
You got it. If they are from the same spawn, it is easier to tell the males as they are the bigger of the pair. I currently have 2 mated pairs (Blushing Golds and Blushing Marbles/Koi).

If you want to have a mated pair, you can either buy one or raise six up from quarter-size together. Once they are 9-12 months old, odds are you will have at least one pair.

They do love the down tubes. It seems to me that they desire maximum water flow to keep the eggs clean; where better than the down tube?

(FIRST POST HERE...GLAD TO BE WITH YA'LL)

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
plah831 said:
what is it with angels preferring to lay their eggs on filter tubes? This is like the third time I've seen this. Weird.
angels like to lay their eggs on vertical surfaces, (but i have never seen them on the tank glass) and if that is the only surface in the tank and they want to breed, well then they are going to take the filter input. also, the filter input is also an area of high oxygen, and that will probably have something to do with it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store