Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-03-2007 7:27 AM

Greenville, SC

The first is a potential caution. I haven't purchased any fish there, but the Petland at 1425 Woodruff Rd (about a mile off 385 - in "Shoppes on Woodruff") is a little, well, fishy. They have a very good selection and stock of freshwater fish. Most of their fish looked decent, but some looked a bit unhappy (especially their gouramis) and nipped at. In particular, they had an overcrowded tank of oscars that just broke my heart. There was no species or price information on this tank, so I wonder if it was just a "miscellany not sold" tank... it contained 3 very large oscars, 1 very large fish (maybe a pacu?), and 2 large cichlids, which was way too much for the tank size. And it showed, because two of the oscars had ich, and the third clearly has hole-in-head disease. I felt so bad for them. The entire time I was browsing fish (at least 10-15 min), no one came to ask if I needed help, and I couldn't find a free employee to inquire about the adult oscars. I should hope they aren't for sale. So, many of their fish looked good, and the prices were pretty decent, but the bleeding heart animal lover in me doesn't want to buy anything that lets its fish get in such bad shape.

If you want pond fish, Paxon's Pet Supply on White Horse Rd. (paxonspetsupply.com) claims to have a big selection of supplies, but I haven't checked it out (as I don't have a pond).

The new Pet Smart on Woodruff Rd is very nice. Good stock, all of the fish look happy and healthy. Staff, from my limited experience, are at least reasonably knowledgable and helpful and don't let people walk off making huge mistakes - at least, not without the person knowing they're making a mistake.

Saluda River pet stores (various locations -- Easley and Greer are two) have smaller but decent selection of tropical fish, with some marine. Fish are all happy and healthy. Staff are generally pretty helpful and knowledgable, and it's a locally owned business!

Sadly, I don't think there are any other mom and pop stores around for tropical and marine fish supplies. At least, I haven't discovered any.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Today 11:10 AM
    Oh and Brooks feed farm and supply is where I go alot, the employees are actually trained, they do seem to have wierd mixes in som etnaks though, but they seem to make it work caus eI dont usually see dead fish there. Its in Brunswick, Maine near the hannaford
    Last edited by J double R; 11-25-2007 at 9:03 PM. Reason: thread cleanup

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    09-17-2007 7:48 PM

good fish shops

if your in the London Ontario Canada area a great shop is Incredable Aquarium in the plaza at the corner of Commisioners road and Wunderland. Its a smaller shop but very knolagable staff. They are not willing to sell you something just to make a sale. They are also willing just to talk and answer your questions. They have both fresh and salt tanks. Most tanks have some algea but have never seen a dead fish in the store.

Denshe

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-16-2007 3:37 AM
    Fish Etc
    19062 La Puente Rd.
    West Covina, CA 91792
    www.fish-etc.com
    12pm - 8pm, close every tuesday

Specialized on Rare/exotic fish, Saltwater/ reef and Aquatic plants, large selection of Saltwater fish around SVG

My Tanks:
    29 Gallon Fully Planted
    10 Gallon Fully Planted
    www.fish-etc.com
    Member of SCAPE

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-01-2014 12:25 AM
    Lake Country Pets & Grooming
    600 Hartbrook Drive
    Hartland WI 53029
    (262)-367-4773
    Mon-Thurs: 10am-8pm
    Fri: 10am-6pm
    Sat: 10am-5pm
    Sun: 10am-2pm

This is a great LFS they even get custom orders (sharks, stingrays, discus, jellyfish, etc.) Specialize in tropical and coldwater fish.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-05-2010 10:32 PM
    Optimum Aquarium
    2960 Shallowford Rd
    Marietta, GA
    (770) 565-3935

Atlantis Aquarium
    3125 Roswell Rd
    Marietta, GA
    (770) 977-5882

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    05-02-2013 6:46 PM
    That Fish Place has already been mentioned, but I feel it needs to be mentioned again - it's excellent. Clean, beautiful, well-thought out, highly knowledgable people, most of whom have studied aquatics/marine subjects. Lovely.

Absolutely Fish & Pet Shanty has also been mentioned, but I have a few personal ideas about each place I wanted to add. Absolutely Fish caters to people who want beautiful, showy tanks. I didn't see a single fish that's remotely drab in color, or any larger fish that were sold-back. I also didn't see any of the more exotic, oddball fish. They have excellent varieties in types of discus and cichlids and such, but absolutely none of the higher maintanance fish, larger catfish, etc. Their staff is really helpful and nice.
    Pet Shanty is really great, too. A lot more diversity in different types of fish, and you can always find an oddball or two lurking in the corners - definitely a great place.The guys there are helpful, and have always tried to stock the fish I was looking for. Very convenient.

Shark Aquarium
    245 Route 22, Hillside NJ
    http://www.sharkaquarium.com
    Shark is one of the most amazing carniverous/predatory fish place I've seen. Its facilities are rather clean and neat, and expansive - quite a place. It's got all sorts of catfish and pirahnas and so on, all for very decent prices. Monster fish and all that jazz, hehe. The only complaint that I do have is that they sell a lot of fish without telling the buyer all the details - red tailed cats, black devil cats, arowanas, etc, always seem to get returned. You can order & buy larger fish there, it's quite nice. I'm honestly sort of surprised this place didn't come up on this list sooner, heh.
    Last edited by J double R; 11-25-2007 at 9:04 PM. Reason: thread cleanup

Too old for new technology
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-15-2010 6:07 AM

LFS

Syracuse Aquarium & Pond Supply
    4618 North St.
    Jamesville,NY 13078
    315-492-0200
    W-F 10am - 8pm
    Sa 10am - 5pm
    Su 12pm - 5pm

Owner Jerry Johnson and his son Chris are very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. They carry a nice assortment of freshwater fish and salts and do trading on everything. I have been dealing with Jerry for over 20 years.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    01-03-2011 6:39 PM
    Ken's Discus
    www.kensdiscus.com
    Seattle, Washington
    Ken has a good selection of imported and self-bred discus. His prices are very good and his fishkeeping is also very good. Give him a try for shipping as well. He deserves to be supported.
    Last edited by J double R; 11-25-2007 at 9:04 PM. Reason: thread cleanup
    David
    Discus
    Others

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-18-2007 5:47 PM
    Just thought I would post after having (finally) a positive fish store experience.
    Went by The Wet Spot in Portland and found it to be really great, friendly (and mostly informed) staff - Not to mention an insane amount of fish.

Although the manager wasn't there at the time so I couldn't get some of my questions fully answered (thanks to reading so much around here, I've got hard ones). But not everyone knows everything about fish.

Pros:
    Great selection
    Helpful (and patient!) staff
    Individual tank filtration
    Spic n' span tanks & store
    Lots of decor items

Cons:
    Tanks weren't very clearly marked in some instances, difficult at some times to identify fish in a multi-species tank, and often there wasn't info on how large the fish would become.
    Didn't add pure oxygen to my bags... although I'm not sure if that's a huge gripe or not.
    And that's about it!

http://wetspottropicalfish.com/
    Last edited by J double R; 11-25-2007 at 9:05 PM. Reason: thread cleanup- added link

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread Information