Wanted: 72" Lighting (or two 36" lights)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaines

Ruler of the Blue Lagoon
May 14, 2006
Nashville, TN
I'm looking for an inexpensive lighting solution for my 6' 135 gallon Oceanic. I'm planning on mounting a hinged shelf on the wall with the lighting underneath it, so I can fold it up against the wall when accessing the tank.

If nothing else, I'll pick up a commercial flourescent light fixture from Home Depot, but I'd rather find a better and/or cheaper solution.

I'm located in Nashville, TN.

RISK2123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2006
L.A. Cali
you can get the fixtures at wal mart for around $10 then all you need is a power supply ($5) and some bulbs ($$$ depends on which ones u get, but u could probably get 4 full spectrum bulbs for under $20. thats the cheapest way to diy. or if u dont feel liek putting something together, just buy sezaros =)

wetpets01

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Do you want cheaper or better - these are two very different things! I can answer your question intelligently with a little more information. What are you lighting -- A live coral reef, Salt water fish only, Fresh water fish only, or Fresh water live planted aquarium?? Any answer that includes Home Depot or Walmart is the WRONG answer. Don't you guys want a real aquarium?? BTW who is the real Scuba Steve??

gaines

Ruler of the Blue Lagoon
May 14, 2006
Nashville, TN
I am lighting a planted freshwater aquarium. I've been using a four bulb ballast driving two 48" flourescent tubes. It only covers 2/3 of the aquarium and over time the flourescent tubes have degraded to the point where they are only promoting algae now. Money is tight right now so I'll probably just stick a couple new tubes in for now, however I really would like to find a nice middle ground between price and performance for my 6' long tank.

Note: I do have CO2 injection and on occasion have added liquid fertilizer.

wetpets01

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks for the extra info......72" planted tanks are well lit with a minimum of power compact lunar light fixture. The one I have is 4 X 96 watts (384 total watts) with mounting legs and LED moon lights built-in. Brand new, I can get one for you for $290.00 + shipping. I understand the "tight-funds" syndrome.....but, this is a great value when you can afford it. FYI The same light by Coralife sells for anywhere from $425.00 to $599.99 in stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store