What is wrong with my guppy???!?!??!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
My oldest female guppy is on the floor of the tank and breathing heavily also on her side and when she tries to swim she ends up on her back and then rolls over again, I think she might be pregnant casue there are 2 males in the tank (her babies). Just want to know what's going on :dive2:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
it really sounds like a swimbladder disorder. If she's pregnant on top of that, it can be very hard on her body. What are your water parameters? Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? I've had fish develop swimbladder problems due to bacterial infections from dirty water. After that, I am very good about water changes and try to keep nitrates below 10 ppm.

I change my tanks water every friday so I dont see how that could be the issue, I am so worried for her is there anything i can do to make this better or is she well doomed :help:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
do you feed them floating foods? that can cause fish to swallow too much air and lead to digestive problems as well as swimbladder issues. For flakes, I always release them below the water, that way they sink in the water and dance around in the current. My fish love it, and it's much easier for them than craning their necks at the surface.

You might want to try feeding some skinned peas. The fiber in them act as a laxative and might help her buoyancy problems. Just defrost some frozen peas, take off the skin, and cut it into little bite sized pieces. My fish love them, even the carnivores. Withholding food for a couple days before and after the peas will really help clear her digestive tract, too.

I'd still like to see some numbers for nitrate values, though. It's possible to do water changes every week, but still not remove all the wastes. That's why a liquid test kit is so invaluable. It tells you if your maintenance regime is adequate.

Thanks so much I am off to the pet store to purchase a new water testing kit right now. I'll post the levels in a few hours. and Im going to pick up some peas too hehe. Great Ideas!
I usuually just put the food at the top of the tank but from now on i'll release them in the middle of the tank.

Thanks somuch for your help!

N@

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
you're welcome Natalie. I'm just glad you didn't attack my ideas, but truly want what's best for your fish :) Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store