Tankmates for maroon clown?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yellow tang

AC Members
Jul 17, 2006
I currently have a yellow tang, would like to get a pair of maroon clowns(one male,one female) I love the little fish. Would my tang be okay with the maroon clown? The tang is still a baby. And if it is alright, what kinds of fish can go with the clowns and the tang?

Colombian_Shark

King Catfish
Jan 23, 2006
The maroon clowns may act peaceful when they're little, but they tend to get more aggressive as they age. The tang, on the other hand, would be a good candidate for being bullied. How large is your tank? It could possibly work if the fish have enough room to stay out of each other's way.

yellow tang

AC Members
Jul 17, 2006
Can a male and female live together? Also it is a 40 gallon, I know the tang will get too large for that size of tank, when he gets about 6-8 inches I will sell him back to the pet store. What other fish can be kept with the clowns?

clekchau

AC Members
Jun 10, 2004
Visit site
the yellow tang would not get bullied, they are tough and mean/territorial to new additions as well, i've kept them with tough triggers, wrasses, angels, groupers etc and they more than hold their own quite well.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
get 2 small immature clowns and let them work out their gender roles and you'll do ok. You migh reconsider marrons though as you'll probably want to add other fish after you remove the tang . It's generally best to add the most aggresive fish last.
just imo

Shaummy

AC Members
Dec 4, 2004
I've had a larger Maroon kill many fish in my 90 gallon FOWLR including a yellow tang. I would be very nervous about them in a 40 gallon. Not to mention a yellow tang in a 40gal is pushing it anyway.

I finally had to get rid of him so that I could restock my tank.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store